Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post c section itchiness

(9 Posts)
Reenypip Fri 17-May-13 23:13:11

Anyone else have a c section and experience severe itchiness during the section, and still itchy after it?
(I had multiple other problems too but just focusing on the itchiness)
It's been a week now but I'm still itchy.

BabyStone Sat 18-May-13 06:20:40

I haven't had a c section myself but have heard itchiness is a very common thing to have after. Maybe a body moisteriser will help (would also help any scars too)put it on/around the itchy skin and let it sink in on its own, I've heard bio oil is also good for the itchiness smile

Thumbtack Sat 18-May-13 06:45:30

I was very itchy after the op - and numb, still am a little bit 7months on . .

bishboschone Sat 18-May-13 06:47:26

It's itchy because its healing. Mine was very painful and I had some strange feelings all over . The wound healed very quickly but the inside hurt for months. 23 months on its almost invisible and not numb or painfulsmile

mrsminiverscharlady Sat 18-May-13 10:22:03

Do you mean itchiness around the scar or generally (nose is often particularly affected). The latter can be caused by the diamorphine given as part of the spinal anaesthetic. It's unusual to still have this kind of itchiness a week later, but chlorpheniramine (piriton) can really help. You should talk to your doctor first, especially if you're breastfeeding.

SucksToBeMe Sat 18-May-13 10:29:37

My scar still itches from time to time and DS is 4! I have a ELEC on thur so expecting a few more years of trying not to idly scratch myself in public.

I also never got any feeling back in the scar area, don't know if that affected it.

runawaysimba Sat 18-May-13 10:32:53

If you mean general itching, are you taking voltaren/diclofenac? It's pretty commonly given after Caesars, I think. It made me itch everywhere, doc took me off it, said I must be allergic to it.

rainbowfeet Sat 18-May-13 10:39:29

My scar & surrounding area ie; flabby tummy was very itchy for a couple of weeks after c-section, think its quite normal smile

Reenypip Sun 19-May-13 00:01:46

General itching. A few other ladies had it during the c section too who I spoke to on recovery. I think it partly reaction to spinal anathestic.
But I'm still itchy now (not as bad).

I'm already on fentanyl and morphine (which I know can cause itchiness), but this extra itchiness has been since c section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now