Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore throat in the evening

(8 Posts)
Bimbledorf Fri 17-May-13 22:14:33

Has anyone had a virus lately that is literally a sore throat and tongue with swollen glands that is way worse in the evening. Apart from that I don't really have any symptoms. It won't go away however, it has been going on at least 3 weeks so far and whilst it seems a tiny bit better in the day, every evening without fail it flares up to a really painful degree.

I've tried salt water gargles, manuka honey and fresh lemon gargles and hot drinks, paracetemol (allergic to aspirin so can't use ibuprofen), strepsils and more.

Will it ever go away?! Any other successful sore throat remedy suggestions?

I have been to the docs and she confirms it is likely viral but having bloods taken to rule out if there is anything else going on.

Bimbledorf Fri 17-May-13 22:15:20

I don't think it helps that I have a 6 month old baby who is currently not sleeping well.

brightyoungthing Fri 17-May-13 22:46:56

You are not alone!
2 weeks ago I had an awful cold but it cleared within a couple of days. Since then I have had a sore throat that is worse in the evenings and for the last 4 days this has been with swollen glands on one side of my neck.
I am also coughing quite a lot but it is a dry/tickly cough.
Yesterday one of my molars on the side of the swollen gland started hurting and I was beginning to think that maybe I have a gum infection or abcess that is causing the swollen glands?
Ibuprofen seems to help a lot with the pain and swelling but I can't take them for much longer so I'm going to the dentist on Monday.
Have some flowers and I hope you start feeling better soon!

brightyoungthing Fri 17-May-13 22:48:58

The strange thing is that my tonsils are not swollen at all but feel like they should be (not that I'm complaining!).

brightyoungthing Fri 17-May-13 22:51:27

Sorry, just noticed that you can't take ibuprofen blush. How about co-codamol? I am currently drinking a green tea with lemon and honey to try and sooth my throat but it's making my tooth hurt!!

Bimbledorf Sat 18-May-13 09:23:50

Oh no, sounds awful. Hope the dentist sorts you out!

scaevola Sat 18-May-13 09:27:04

Just wondering if it could be a form of hayfever. I had a sore throat, worse in the evening, for weeks in spring/early summer last year. I was convinced something sinister must be going on (ex smoker), but it resolved itself in the autumn. And might be just coming back now.

mrsminiverscharlady Sat 18-May-13 10:24:15

Another possibility might be reflux - acid regurgitating from your stomach into the back of the throat. This is often worse in the evening/night and can cause a sore throat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now