Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy period and no access to loo at work for several hours

(32 Posts)
toodaloo Fri 17-May-13 18:14:03

My periods are very heavy on 1-2 days (just medium to heavy on other days. I work in a bookies, if I open up I am on my own for 3.5 hours with no access to a toilet until someone gets in to start their shift.

My periods aren't massively predictable and the rotas are drawn up 2-3 weeks in advance. My problem is that my heaviest days I reckon will be on Sunday/Monday and I'm opening up on both days. Normally I can either swap shifts, ask my colleagues if they will come in a bit earlier or I am not doing that shift. (Which is usually the case) My colleagues for genuine reasons can't get in any earlier both days or swap. My manager says I'll just have to deal with it.

So, my question is, what can I do so that I don't leak everywhere? I currently use a nighttime pad with a smaller pad at the back (sort of in a T shape). I have never got on with tampons. I was thinking of wearing 2 pairs of knickers and a pair of flannel shorts type thing that I wear to bed when on my period. I wear black trousers to work. What do others do when on a heavy period and no loo?

Thanks

JollyOrangeGiant Fri 17-May-13 18:14:43

Have you tried a mooncup?

NoelHeadbands Fri 17-May-13 18:19:31

Mooncup and tranaxemic acid

JeanPaget Fri 17-May-13 18:27:37

I second tranaxemic acid, it made a huge difference for me.

I imagine you won't be keen on trying a moon cup if you don't like tampons, so I'm not really sure what else you can do other than pile on pads (and yes, black trousers!)

Strikeuptheband Fri 17-May-13 18:30:49

Awful to admit this but in the past few years I have had heavy periods and have ended up having to use nappies before now blush. Not wearing them, just putting them into my pants (opened out like a huge pad). his is because normal pads weren't working at all for me.

Now I am free of that sort of thing because I use a Mooncup. I still need to sort it every 4-5 hours on a really heavy day but even if it is completely full to over flowing all that then happens is it starts to slowly leak. On those days I wear extra sanitary protetion just in case.

I would highly recommend giving it a go. I am much, much more comfortable and so so happy I did try it (I was desperate). You do need to get used to it but it has really revolutionised my life which used to be really hard during those days.

Oh and I hate tampons. I have tried quite a few times because i want to go swimming but I put one in and want to scream - feels uncomfortable. But Mooncup doesn't feel like that. It is almost as though you are not having a period at all when it is in place - can't feel it.

toodaloo Fri 17-May-13 18:32:48

I will ask the doctor about tranaxemic acid and investigate a mooncup but I suppose I'll just have to pile on the pads for now. It will be a long morning......

toodaloo Fri 17-May-13 18:36:04

strikeuptheband I have seriously considered wearing a makeshift nappy before. Ah well, thank you all

Catbiscuit Fri 17-May-13 18:38:00

Can you just lock the door for 2 mins and use the loo? If you need to go you need to go!

juneau Fri 17-May-13 18:38:29

Maternity pad?

Might be worth trying to get to grips with super-plus tampons though. One of those plus a maxi pad would be much better.

helenaconhambarter Fri 17-May-13 18:39:28

Have you thought about having a Mirena coil fitted?

I suffer like you and decided to have one fitted - it worked a treat and I stopped having periods almost immediately - just a little bit of bleeding the week after it going in.

For about a year I didn't ever have to worry about all the challenges heavy periods present.

Eventually I had it removed because it did make me gain weight and my boobs hurt constantly, so from that point of view it didn't suit me, but not everyone has those side effects and I'm very jealous of all my friends who still have theirs in and never have to think about periods.

It may suit you and you'll never look back....

NoelHeadbands Fri 17-May-13 18:40:13

I think you can buy tranexamic acid over the counter now, Boots do it apparently?

It starts working straightaway, so if you could get hold of some tomorrow you could have it ready to use as soon as you come on.

It really has made a difference to mine, those two days used to be a total nightmare for me if I was at work

toodaloo Fri 17-May-13 18:41:38

Catbuscuit the toilet is on the other side of the shop from the counter and I can't leave the area unattended. (Weird shop, most have a toilet behind the counter)

fieldfare Fri 17-May-13 18:41:48

Super plus tampax, nighttime pad and transexamic acid is the combination that makes mine bearable.

notfluffy Fri 17-May-13 18:42:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 18:45:19

I would go with a super+ tampon as well as a huge pad. It's worth gritting your teeth and using one just to get you through that couple of hours. Plus tranexamic acid.

toodaloo Fri 17-May-13 18:46:23

We are TTC (currently undergoing tests as nothing happening so I don't think a Mirena coil is suitable. I have just googled tranaxemic acid and it says something about potential side effects of seizures. I have (fully controlled) epilepsy so I want to speak to my GP first. Thank you all.

NatashaBee Fri 17-May-13 18:49:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 18:51:47

Persevere with tampons. I thought I didn't like them until I got desperate with towels leaking and limiting what I could do. Turned out I wasn't pushing the tampons in far enough, and now I can go out and about and not worry about overflowing. Tampax Super+ work well for me.

helenaconhambarter Fri 17-May-13 19:13:22

Oh yes of course if you are TTC then the Mirena is obviously not an option at the moment.
I have had all my DC so it wasn't an issue for me from that POV, but wish I could still use it now sad Have gone back to hideously heavy periods since removing it.
I now have to resort to doubling up on Super Absorbent tampons (sorry if TMI) as well as wearing enormous pads!
Short of having ablation or a hysterectomy I guess I will just have to wait for the menopause now grin

Strikeuptheband Sat 18-May-13 00:44:17

Seriously, I never thought Mooncup would work for me, but after a bit of time reading all of the instructions, and a period of getting to grips with it, the next month I was able to use it with very few issues and with confidence enough to wear it throughout. I think the cotton in tampons irritates some of us to the point that we can't manage it. Possibly because it's silicone, Mooncup didn't annoy me in the same way. And it was really nice not to have all the mess and having to go to the loo once an hour!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 18-May-13 00:52:07

I find tampons really uncomfortable but my mooncup is great, wouldn't use anything else now.

MardyBra Sat 18-May-13 00:58:51

Surely there is some legislation which says that you have the right to toilet facilities if required at work.

MardyBra Sat 18-May-13 01:13:23

after googling I'm surprised to see how few rights there are

GoodbyePorkPie Sat 18-May-13 01:24:03

Oh god, how awful OP. No advice (other than mooncup) but you have my sympathies, it will be a long morning for you.

masirah Sat 18-May-13 01:41:25

Ladies, you have my 100% admiration for your problem solving. I had no idea that this was such a problem despite being married for 35 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now