Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Blood test in an 11 month old - what to expect?

(12 Posts)
katzg Mon 22-May-06 14:35:01

DD2 has to have some bloods taken on wednesday and i haven't a clue what to expect, anyone have experience?

katzg Mon 22-May-06 14:41:10

anyone?

katzg Mon 22-May-06 15:06:16

no one?

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 15:13:25

Message withdrawn

Gingerbear Mon 22-May-06 15:16:15

oh Katz no advice, but I will be thinking of you both.
Immunisations are traumatic enough aren't they?

katzg Mon 22-May-06 15:16:19

where did they take them from?

i've always had blood taken from my arm but that would be difficult in an 11 month old surely?

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 15:19:11

Message withdrawn

YellowFeathers Mon 22-May-06 15:24:04

DD had to have them done when she was about 5/ months.

They gave her some anaestetic cream to numb the area (her foot first time I think), left it for 40 mins ish and then took it.

I'll be honest it was awful as she screamed like mad.

The second time they took it from her hand which was just as bad.

I dn't really know what else to say. I hate having mine taken and I know to have blood taken from the top of your foot or hand is quite sore but on the other hand I think needs must. There being done for a reason.

katzg Mon 22-May-06 15:24:49

thanks - i'm just a little stressed about it, i want to do in knowing what will happen so i can be more relaxed and more of a comfort to DD than being a nervous wreak because i don't know whats coming,

katzg Mon 22-May-06 15:25:56

thanks

shes having a collagulation screen

Bagpuss30 Mon 22-May-06 15:51:17

Ds1 had them taken at 17 months as part of a catheterisation on his heart, so I'm not sure how similar it would be to yours tbh. He had cream to numb, same as yellowfeathers dd, and the nurse put a patch over it for a while so that it could work. I think the doctor used a butterfly needle (? not sure as was ages ago now) and then took the samples the same way as the routine bloods for pg are done. ds1 did scream like mad and had to be held quite firmly but has had no lasting worries . I'm sure you will be fine - good luck for Wednesday to you and your dd

katzg Mon 22-May-06 17:30:37

thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: