Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ds to be circumcised

(37 Posts)
HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 13:52:54

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 13:54:04

he won't hate you forever .. he'll be fine .. he won't grow up emotionally and physically damaged .. its just a circumcision

don' worry

how old is he?

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 13:54:30

my DS is circumcised btw

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 13:54:49

as are 95% of Americans, all Jews, Muslims etc etc etc

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 13:56:39

Message withdrawn

Socci Mon 22-May-06 13:56:40

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 13:58:35

I think he might be uncomfortable for a couple of days and his first urination will probably hurt ... just talk it through with him .. don't let it be a surprise

. but honestly he'll be fine .. friend's DS had his done at 6 and he was fine too

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 22-May-06 14:01:57

Hope it goes well, my DS has just been referred to a urologist with possibly the same outcome.

I know all my brothers had it done for the same reason and they have no issues with it.

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:11:22

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:11:42

Message withdrawn

MamaMaiasaura Mon 22-May-06 14:13:09

HMo" - can i ask why he having it done. THing is my ds has problems down there too and needed anti biotic cream or something. He isnt able to retract it back fully and i dont even know if he should be able to now (he is 6). When he was 2-3 the dr said he needed to be practising in the bath.

I dont really undersatnd all about it, i should really make an appt but worried may need op too. Also i went out with a guy for sometime in my late teens early 20's and he was circumsized when we were together - his foreskin was too tight and caused him lots of pain (inlc tearing) so wouldnt want ds as an adult to exp that. Not meaning to hijack btw just releived in a way to find someone in similar prediciment. x

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:19:09

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandles Mon 22-May-06 14:22:15

Give him lots of cranberry juice to drink in the week leading up to the op, and in the week or so afterwards while he is recovering. Apparently it makes the pee less 'stingy'.

Hope it goes well. I have an adult friend who was 'done' at about 8, and remembers the relief more than the op itself. His father had also had to be circumcised as a child, and so my friend had his ds done as a baby.

Bumblelion Mon 22-May-06 14:27:27

My son also had recurring balanatis and was circumcised in June last year. He was 8 at the time. He was a little bit sore for a while and also bled a bit afterwards after just coming round from the anaesthetic (which was quite distressing for me and him, but apparently quite normal) but the hospital did not discharge him until we were all happy.

He came home in pyjamas and no pants and as soon as we got in, he took his pants off. It took about 1 week for the stitches to dissolve and now he is fine. No infections and it looks very neat.

My ex-h was also circumcised at age 9 for the same reason and he did not grow up feeling anything less than a man.

I actually prefer it but I did not have my son circumcised because of this - it was a medical necessity.

MamaMaiasaura Mon 22-May-06 14:30:49

Yes it does balloon -i feel bad now as have put it off. Yes is was a steriod cream he was given too. I have tried to get him to keep practicing, i feel like a failed iykwim

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:33:02

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:35:31

Message withdrawn

MamaMaiasaura Mon 22-May-06 14:36:38

Thanks for starting this thread tho - i have called dr and made appt for wednesday next week. Feel for ds tho as he will get embarrassed

MamaMaiasaura Mon 22-May-06 14:39:13

no he seems ok tbh. He still cant retract it right back as it hurts him tho. I had better go get him from school now.. swimming lessons tonight

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 14:39:42

Message withdrawn

Bumblelion Mon 22-May-06 15:03:23

My son is "happy" with how it looks. It helps that one of his friends in school has also been circumcised and his best friend's younger brother.

When I first took my DS to the doctor, they thought it was a fungal infection and gave us some cream. The infection did not clear up, the doctor then decided it was a bacterial infection and gave us some different cream. By this time, he had formed scar tissue and that was the end reason for the circumcision.

When I first took my DS to the doctor, he was fairly embarrassed but I said to my son that the doctor sees hundreds of people every day - he sees their fingers, thumbs, knees, feet, backs, tummies, willies, etc. He has seen so many of everything that the doctor would not find it "strange" to be examining a willy and my son should not feel "strange" having his willy examined.

I remember my son saying that the doctor must have seen willies in all shapes and sizes - big ones, little ones, fat ones, thin ones - that did make me smile at the time.

kid Mon 22-May-06 20:06:22

HMo2 - I wondered how it went today.
My nephew was 'done' when he was 8. He coped ok with it but he had to be a bit careful at school afterwards with football (incase he got hit with the ball or kicked)
It did sting when he went to the loo so he used to go in the bath or into some water, I think thats what he did anyway! He had to have cream applied to it several times a day after the op, not the best thing if you are squemish. Maybe he can learn quickly to apply it himself?

intergalacticwalrus Mon 22-May-06 20:13:00

HappyMum, DP was circumcised at the age of 27. He said that was a nightmare, due to the whole, ahem, erection issue. That, obv wont be an issue here. DP said it was fine. It hurt a bit, but that's to be expected, but he's had no probs since.

Sari Mon 22-May-06 20:47:13

Awen, really don't feel bad. Ds1 is 6 next month and his foreskin doesn't retract. We were referred to a consultant and he said it was very normal (can't remember the figures he gave but it was something like 75% of six year olds have foreskins that don't). He said to encourage him to pull it back but not to panic and to give it a few more years before thinking about circumcision unless he has recurrent infections. But to be honest I'm not very optimistic that anything is going to change so we'll probably be looking at circumcision too in a few years.

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-May-06 20:47:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: