Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Indigestion

(7 Posts)
thegreylady Thu 16-May-13 11:19:48

I have been on omeprazole for a hiatus hernia for about 10 years now and it has kept the symptoms under control even when I had chemo for breast cancer in 2006/7.
The las couple of days I have had horrific acid reflux on which Rennies has a very temporary effect.I wonder if anyone has any advice on what might help and at what stage I should consider seeing my GP.
TIA

gingeroots Thu 16-May-13 11:57:35

Sitting propped up with pillows at night helps .

Having an empty stomach ( no food or drink ) a few ( ? 2 ? 3? hours ) before bed also helps .

From my research I think rennies etc help in short term and then cause a rebound where your stomach makes moreacid .

I would absolutely go back to GP ,acid can damage lining of oesphageous and should ( IME ) be monitored .

Elibean Thu 16-May-13 13:11:09

I would try the extra pillows/bland foods/early supper thing for a few days - then go to GP, Greylady.

I've been on Omeprazole (hiatus hernia) for about five years, with excellent symptom control on the whole - have had to increase from 10mg to 20mg on occasion, but if I'm careful about fizzy water/curry and too much sugar, I'm fine on 10mg.

BUT I recently had a vomiting bug, which started with very acidy reflux that Omeprazole didn't touch - and dh had it too, minus the vomiting. Is there a chance you could have a bit of a bug?? Or eaten anything unusual? Mine still hasn't settled 10 days later, but I'm going to give it another few days before heading for the GP...

Then, I agree with Ginger. It can damage the oesophagus, and shouldn't be left for weeks on end. Hope you feel better v soon smile

brettgirl2 Thu 16-May-13 17:29:58

What's your dose of Omeprazole? I was told by a consultant that some people take as much as 160 in a day. If you are on 20 or 40 then probably they'll tell you to up it at least temporarily.

Elibean Fri 17-May-13 21:27:55

How are you, thegreylady?

Hope it's settled x

thegreylady Tue 21-May-13 22:10:32

Elibean thanks for asking. Yes it did settle and seemed to be related to a bug in the end as I began producing horrible sulphur burps (tmi sorry) and had a generally upset stomach. When that cleared the indigestion cleared too. Thanks all for your suggestions smile

Elibean Tue 21-May-13 22:27:27

Oh good! Pesky bugs, mine gave me heartburn for about ten days after the sickness stopped hmm

So glad you're feeling better. Here's to omeprazole working for both of us for decades yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now