Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Teeth and Milk - Anyone a dentist?

(10 Posts)
IamBlossom Mon 22-May-06 12:45:40

Sorry if this has been done to death but:

My DS 20 months has water in the main, plus 2 x 6 oz bottles of milk one at night one in the morning. Occasionally he has fruit juice or very watered down sugar free cordial ( if he is at Grandma's house!)

I have been really aware of what he drinks as I am terrified his teeth will rot. This weekend my SIL said her 4 year old has 4 cavities in his front teeth, and that it must be from the cordial he drinks as he doesn't have sweets that often. I was horrified (but didn't show it of course) that he already has rotten teeth when she professes to have been so careful with his diet. She said the dentist told her milk can also do damage as it has a natural sugar content. Is that true?

suzywong Mon 22-May-06 12:47:19

ChicagoMum is a dentist

Sugar free cordial is questionable because of the artificial sweetners you know, best to have very weak normal cordial occasionally.

IamBlossom Mon 22-May-06 13:04:26

oh really, normal cordial rather than sugar free? I knew the sweeteners in sugar free were bad, but didn't realise they were worse than the sugar content of normal............

melissasmummy Mon 22-May-06 13:05:04

Am a dental nurse, so will try & help.

Milk does have natural sugar in, can effect the teeth, but not as rapidly as sugar filled drinks.

As long as you brush his teeth before he goes to sleep (and from that point on has nothing except water till morning) and brush after his breakfast/morning milk then you are helping to prevent problems. Use a toothpaste with fluoride and a small brush. make sure you do it tho, as he isn't old enough to have the manual dexterity needed to brush efficiently. He can have a go after you have done it.

Try (easier said than done, I know) to get your ds off bottles an onto beakers (some of the anti-spill can cause problems as they need to suck so hard) I got for tommi tippee range, easy to use! Liquid from a bottle, once teeth are present can be detrimental to the teeth. Start taking him to the dentist on a regular basis for check - ups.

As Suzy said, watch out for sugar free products as the sweetners are questionable. I give DD pure juice, very watered down or normal squash (rare) very watered down.

Watch out for hidden sugars, they can be anywhere. Sucrose, dextrose, glucose, fructose are all sugars and can be found in many foods you wouldn't think off. (tom ketchup, crisps etc etc). Keep sugary foods/drinks to meal times, to restrict the time that suagry food spend in the mouth. Offer chocolate instead of sweets (agagin at meal time) and always offer bars, instead of tubes/bags as they tend to last longer.

melissasmummy Mon 22-May-06 13:06:32

Blossom, its to do with the effects on health, that is the issue with sweetners. After 14 years recommending sugar free foods/drinks I would now rather dd had very diluted juice than sweetners.

TLM2 Mon 22-May-06 13:22:53

Not a dentist but took our sone who is 13 months to the dentist the other day - he already has nearly 20 teeth and I've noticed they are slightly stained.He mainly has water but occasionally watered juice.

Dentist said as long as you clean them it should be fine and also to watch out for dried fruit since it can often contain as much sugar as chocolate - eg dried bananas, raisins, apple pieces. They may be the "healthy" option but not as far as teeth go. Thought I'd share that.

IamBlossom Mon 22-May-06 15:09:08

Great thanks guys. So I should brush his teeth after his bedtime milk? Hmm that will mean a change in his routine as his milk is the last thng he does with me in a dark room before he goes to bed...

Yes must break the bottle thing, it's so CONVENIENT though, as he can drink it lying down......

TLM2 Mon 22-May-06 15:52:03

I give my DS his milk in his chair and then we brush his teeth - he loves it and knows what to do now. I think he likes the taste of the toothpaste. We then read him a bedtime story. Perhaps you just need to alter his routine?

IamBlossom Mon 22-May-06 18:50:12

yep have done tonight and no major trauma. he had his bath and then drank his juice from his AnyWayUp Cup whilst daddy read him a story, and then we brushed his teeth, and off he popped to bed.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Feel happier now that the last thing he does each day is have his pearly whites scrubbed.

Just got to tackle the dummy now...........

melissasmummy Tue 23-May-06 09:09:17

iamblossom, glad it went well. Keep up the good work

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: