Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chalky poo and anusol?

(4 Posts)
hopingitsnotserious Tue 14-May-13 19:48:54

NC here for this embarrassing post.. I have been bleeding anally on and off for the last couple of years, too afraid to go to the doctor. a few months ago, end of last year I decided enough was enough, went to see Dr, I told her my symptoms (just bleeding lightly, on and off, nothing else, no pain or anything). She asked me if I had tried Anusol, and i said no so she examined me and said that she couldn't feel anything but it was probably piles and gave me a prescription. So it was all better for a while, it sort of comes and goes, there'll be a couple of days of bleeding where I think I should go and see the Dr and then it will stop so I'll think it's fine.

Since about last Friday its come again after a month or so of it not happening at all, but this time there is more blood and its more frequent, even if i just go for a wee and do a wipe back there to check, there will be blood. Sometimes enough to soak into the tissue and once or twice a little clot. On Sunday I think I had the symptoms of an anal fissue - itching, burning pain for a couple of hours and more blood. So I went to the chemist and got some Anusol yesterday (Monday) but today I have just been to the loo and my poo was like a bit chalky white - can the Anusol do this? I've just consulted Dr google and it tells me that can be a sign of a tumour!

So now I've scared myself stupid, I was wondering if this is a side effect of the Anusol? I am going to use Anusol until the end of the week to see if it improves, and I will make an appointment with the doctors if not.

I am a 26 year old non drinker, non smoker, never been pregnant and have recently started eating more fruit and veg and doing exercise in case its relevant!

bulletproofgerbil Tue 14-May-13 20:00:12

I think you should ask your GP for either a referral or for a colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy (or whatever tests will show what's going on in your bowels (I'm not a medic so don't really know what the necessary tests are.)

If you are using the anusol suppositories they definitely give my poo a very chalky white coating.

It could well be piles or a fissure causing the bleeding but my DDs GP fobbed her off for years with a diagnosis of IBS and it turned out she had ulcerative colitis. Had they bothered to do some tests, she would have had the right treatment and been a lot less poorly a lot quicker.

I don't think a physical examination is enough to really be able to decide what the exact problem is and you sound worried so need your mind putting at rest too. Good luck.

hopingitsnotserious Tue 14-May-13 20:03:23

thanks for the reply, they are the suppositories and the ones I had on prescription didn't do it so I thought it might be them. I can't get to the the drs this week so I just wanted the bleeding to stop but its definately playing on my mind...however with only 2 anusols the bleeding is stopping

bulletproofgerbil Tue 14-May-13 20:56:13

The suppositories do give your poo a very white chalky coating just like you describe so I wouldn't worry about that at all. If the bleeding is stopping too it sounds like piles and that the combo of the GPs stuff and the anusol (which is what works best for me too) is reducing the inflammation. Hopefully by the time you get to your GP it will be loads better. The pain, itching, bleeding and discomfort of piles is just awful. Hope you feel much better soon and be firm with GP if you are at all unhappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now