Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crack in corner of mouth won't heal

(23 Posts)
FairPhyllis Tue 14-May-13 17:37:09

I've had this for about three weeks now and am rather fed up of it. It's definitely not a cold sore - it looks more like a slightly crusty paper cut iyswim. I keep putting lip balm on it and trying not to open my mouth, but just as soon as I think it's about to heal it splits open again when I open my mouth too wide.

Short of not opening my mouth for a week, any ideas how to get rid of it? Magic potions etc?

rubyrubyruby Tue 14-May-13 17:39:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 14-May-13 17:40:24

Ooh I know this! It's a vitamin deficiency.....

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 14-May-13 17:41:19

...Vitamin b group.

NotALondoner Tue 14-May-13 17:42:07

Iron deficiency?
It sounds like angular chelitis.
Get a blood test.
Multi vitamins and put vaseline on it.

Lexiesinclair Tue 14-May-13 17:42:54

I had this and the only thing that sorted it was a cortisone cream. It got rid of it in a day or so, after I'd had it for weeks.

pod3030 Tue 14-May-13 17:47:01

i had this, it was an iron deficiency

dustyhousewithdustypeople Tue 14-May-13 17:49:13

B vitamins. I used to get this when I'd not been eating properly.

SneakyBiscuitEater Tue 14-May-13 17:49:56

I had this took Aldi multivitamins and it went in about 3-4 days. It seems to come back every so often if I am knackered and have pmt.

look after yourself OP

Fluffy101 Tue 14-May-13 17:50:52

It is a b vitamin deficiency as said above. Blisteze is great for getting rid of them

FairPhyllis Tue 14-May-13 17:51:18

Oh shit - vitamin deficiency - really?

Hm. I had a blood test about a year ago for something else which said that I had really low B12 levels. I was told it was right at the rock bottom of the 'normal' range - so quite low but because it was technically normal they didn't think I needed supplements. Could lack of B12 cause this then?

Earlybird Tue 14-May-13 17:51:31

I had this as a teen and found it cleared up quickly when I ate yoghurt (oddly enough). Clearly I was missing something in my diet.

toiletbrush Tue 14-May-13 17:52:26

I've had this too. I dosed up on iron and b vitamins but also found that the cold sore cream helped in the fact that it kept it moist better than chapstick or vaseline.

sittinginthesun Tue 14-May-13 17:53:21

I get this when my Vit B levels are low, but also had it when I was anaemic as a student (crap diet in those days smile).

Think you need to try a supplement.

MexicanHouseThief Tue 14-May-13 17:53:27

Thanks for starting this thread OP! I've had the same thing on and off since DD was born. If I'm not careful, it spreads into a red itchy patch of sore skin that is very hard to get rid of.

Will stock up on vits tomorrow.

tobiasfunke Tue 14-May-13 17:56:05

I just put vasline on mine and a few days of marmite on toast (with butter obvs) and I was sorted.

toiletbrush Tue 14-May-13 17:59:29

Definitely can cause it. I also get sores on the roof of my mouth and tongue, as well as excessively tired and breathless.

Try a good multivitamin. I take one from Sainsbury's especially for women with high levels of all the b vits and iron.

LunaticFringe Tue 14-May-13 18:03:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairPhyllis Tue 14-May-13 18:04:02

Marmite! <shudder>

OK I think I'm going to head out this afternoon and grab some iron and B vitamins.

Anyone know how long it takes to get levels back up to normal if you've had a deficiency?

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 14-May-13 18:14:28

Is the crusty bit orange or golden? Could be impetigo ...?

buildingmycorestrength Tue 14-May-13 18:19:24

My husband had this for ages and was eventually prescribed an antifungal, antibiotic steroid cream that sorted it. Had to use it for weeks though, it was verrrrry persistent.

IwannaSleep Tue 14-May-13 18:20:05

I believed it was a sign of thrush as well, cleared for me when I ate gallons of natural yogurt

midoriway Tue 14-May-13 18:35:40

A slightly out there suggestion perhaps, but instead of vaseline or other creams to heal, try a lanolin based cream. The best is lanisoh nipple cream. This stuff is a miracle. Because it contains lanolin it means wounds don't need to be kept dry and stable to heal. I stick it on DD's thumb when she has sucked it raw, a busted blister on DH's sweaty foot that wouldn't heal. Everything heals with Lanisoh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now