Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsil stones

(13 Posts)
devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 11:13:57

Ds has said for a while ( about a year) that he gets rocks in his mouth. I've never seen one so just thought it was a bit of snot coming out of his throat.
At the weekend his breath was seriously revolting, made me feel physically sick!
Yesterday he said he'd coughed up a rock at school, then again later. There was nothing to see as he said they slipped through his hands confused
Last night he was running a temp & said his head & throat hurt.
This morning he went to be sick & coughed up a vile smelling lump (which i bagged up!) , checked his throat & it was swollen on one side.
Managed to get him a doc appointment shock & seems he has tonsil stones & tonsillitis.
Does anyone have any experience if this? Googling it it can get pretty grim & is unusual in kids , so I'm guessing it'll get worse as he gets older.
Dr said if it persists he'll refr to ENT

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 18:54:55

Any one had tonsil stones?

Fairylea Tue 14-May-13 18:57:56

I went through a stage of having these aged about 23! No idea why butmaybe I was run down or something. I had a lot of recurrent throat infections and seemed toget the stones a lot. I used to use a cotton bud to press on the side of the tonsil to get them out (probably not recomended but it was the only way to feel more comfortable!)

Strangely enough after a while they just stopped. And now aged 33 I haven't had them since !

CreatureRetorts Tue 14-May-13 18:59:31

I used to get them too - around 20 ish. Don't get them anymore! Not sure why.

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 19:16:31

Good to know its not a life long thing then - He's only 6
The putrid breath is the worst thing - he didn't complain of sore throat but now has tonsillitis (the day after 3 stones came out)
I've googled it and done of the videos of people extracting then are a bit stomach churning!

DiscoDonkey Tue 14-May-13 19:19:29

I used to get them they are truely foul. If you get the opportunity to have his tonsils removed as a child you will be doing him a huge favour!

I had my tonsils out as an adult and it is a much harder recovery as an adult but on the upside I no longer get tonsil stones. Tbh other than removing tonsils there is no real cure for them.

Fairylea Tue 14-May-13 19:20:30

Aw poor him, so little!

Mouthwash really helped with mine, I think it helped to stop bacteria building up and of course made my breath nicer! Maybe a kids one would be good?

Did he get antibiotics from the gp? They might help to reduce swelling etc which gives the stones less to hide behind..

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 19:25:34

I've never smelt such a vile smell from a living thing! Can't imagine what it must taste likeconfused
The doc said if it persists he'll refer him to ENT - it's been at least a year he's been saying he's coughed something up but the first time I've ever seen a stone. He has had a few bouts of tonsillitis but I'd never connected the two before.
Looking at the size of his tonsils today & knowing the stench they cause I'll be pushing for tonsil removal

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 19:28:52

Yes he has antibiotics - which thankfully he's taking this time ( is idly have a fight to get it down him!)
He has mouthwash which he uses intermittently , which I bought as he had stinky breath a while back.
I'll make sure he uses it regularly.
There was me thinking we were doing a poor job of brushing as he had bad breath

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 19:29:51

Do the stones only come out during a bout of tonsillitis?

Fairylea Tue 14-May-13 19:42:02

For me personally they were linked to bouts of tonsilitius but sometimes I'd get the odd random one. I don't know if 6 year olds can gargle (!!) But if you can get him to gargle with the mouthwash rather than just swish it about it will help more.

Hope they go for him! X

devonsmummy Tue 14-May-13 21:01:37

Yep he's a master at gargling his drinks so shouldn't be a problem!
Thanks x

DiscoDonkey Tue 14-May-13 22:30:44

I used to get the stones regularly the tonsillitis came much later on. I had big tonsil with large crevices (nice!) something to do with post nasal drip collecting in there I think (double nice!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now