Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

reccurent thrush

(5 Posts)
floss35 Tue 14-May-13 01:00:04

Hi,

I'm wanting to share my experience of recurrent thrush for 20 years, being continuous and drug resistant in the last 3 years since the birth of my son. I could go on and on about the dreadful treatment I've had from health professionals (and it has been really poor), though I won't bother. The fact is it was so bad for so long that I resorted to a private clinic in London costing a total of £325 for a consultation, swabs, NHS referrals and diagnosis, I wish I did this 20 years ago.

My diagnosis is dermatitis which is causing recurrent thrush. My treatment involved a steroid to treat the dermatitis, alongside a treatment tailored to the strain of thrush that came up on my swab and e45 wash and cream instead of my usual shower gel. (And all of this achieved whilst pregnant with second child.)

My various diets, supplements etc were confirmed as not helping the thrush at all, though costing me a fortune. ALL of my previous prescribed treatments were of the same family of antifungals (essentially the same medicines), which wouldn't help without the dermatitis being treated also.

I am writing this in case it helps one person. I and my family have suffered for so long with this condition of mine, feeling so low and searching the web to no avail. Towards this time this condition was consuming me, though treatable without need to suffer like I have.

Hope this helps

StupidFlanders Tue 14-May-13 01:54:27

That's interesting, how did you find the clinic and do you think you will be cured?

babyrose Tue 14-May-13 07:42:51

I get thrush quite often and tend to stay away from baths that's the worst one for me. I can get twice a month, the doc gave me steroid cream and pessaries which worked well but it still comes back!

larlemucker Tue 14-May-13 14:21:02

I used to suffer really bad with thrush, sometimes I could hardly walk.
I wash with lactacyd, you can buy it in boots, and I haven't suffered since.

floss35 Thu 16-May-13 07:58:35

Hi,
It's really interesting to see others with similar conditions, I'm just starting treatment so it's difficult to comment on effectiveness.

I've been told not to hope for a cure from dermititis, though the referral I've had to the vulva clinic should help me to manage it well. This was a NHS referral.

Interestingly the consultant compared it with hayfever, the candida is like the pollen, it's presence is not catching, though some will suffer with it and others not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now