Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I have Tonsilitis for the 5th time since having my daughter 15mths ago

(13 Posts)
lottiesmummy Sun 21-May-06 17:47:33

My doctor won't arrange for me to have tonsills out, is this normal?

and hints for stopping the sore throat, havent been to docs yet as its weekend

sparklemagic Sun 21-May-06 18:02:24

I do sympathise lottiesmummy, have had loads of tonsillitis over the years. I always gargle with TCP as this seems to help, particularly if I do it in the early stages when I'm just starting a sore throat.

Does the dr usually give you antibiotics?

I have found that my throat seems to be a weak point with me, and I will suffer tonsillitis when I am knackered or stressed. Can you get some time 'off'? Some time to have a couple of days in bed, so that your body really has time to heal? I know this is asking the impossible when you have a child, but if you can do it I am sure it would help. And take vitamins, whatever you can to try and get yourself on top form so that you don't go down with it again.

I do know Drs are very resistant to taking tonsils out of adults, I am told it is much more painful and nasty surgery than it is when you are a kid. Dunno why though! But yes, I had similar resistance from my dr. I'm glad now, though as my attacks are so rare now. Hope things improve for you. I think the key is looking after yourself - don't put your health at the bottom of the list.

lottiesmummy Sun 21-May-06 18:04:05

thanks for that, im just sick of getting it every few months

TLM2 Sun 21-May-06 20:02:23

I also suffer from tonsilitis when I'm stressed or run down and it's been much worse since I had my son (13 month sold) and went back to work (when he was 7 months old). Before Christmas I was signed off for 2 weeks with flu and it really did help me to shift the illnesses. Perhaps if you can take some time out for yourself it will help you get better properly, otherwise you never really get rid of it.

spidermama Sun 21-May-06 20:04:27

I would see a homeopath if I were you.

lottiesmummy Sun 21-May-06 20:06:14

I have 2 children so don't really get any "me" time anymore

just need to get rid of this pain, its so horrible not being able to eat without crying in pain

TLM2 Sun 21-May-06 20:20:05

I can really sympathise too - it is so painful and makes you feel downright miserable. TCP is very good but if you don't already intend to I should go to the Dr tomorrow and ask for antibiotics. Also really talk to them about what is happening so that you can reveiw the situation if it happens again?

I am also of the opinion that having them out is not necessarily a good thing since the op is pretty nasty by all accounts. Also the tonsils are the first line of defence for the chest and the upper airways so they are doing a good job.

kickassangel Sun 21-May-06 21:24:48

i also get this when tired/run down. i found the first year after having dd it was almost constant - was signed off work so often it went beyond a joke. in the end, sleep got better, immune system got better, i got better. if you can, make arrangements for someone to help out - stomp your feet & say 'doctor says' - my gp told me i must only get out of bed to go to the loo, not even to look after dd, or make a cup of tea, and to stick to that for a week! That was WITH anti-biotics & time off work. Hope you get better soon.

PrincessPeaHead Sun 21-May-06 21:31:08

You need to buy some Corsodyl mouthwash, if I use this at the first hint of the pain it can stave it off completely. Gargle really far down the throat (tastes disgusting but hey). Good luck!

lottiesmummy Sun 21-May-06 21:54:23

thanks guys, im off to bed now, hope I can sleep, isnt it typical that I get this on a sunday morning when no doctors are open, looks like an appt 2mrw for me ay...

nite nite xx

Beauregard Sun 21-May-06 22:12:28

How horrible!Hope you feel better soon

Airy Sun 21-May-06 22:21:27

I've suffered with tonsilitis since I was a child, I get it at least once every two months and have done for as long as I can remember!
I'm 25 now and have just last week managed to get a referral to the ENT to discuss having them taken out, they really don't like doing it obviously!
I think somebody already mentioned Corsodyl mouthwash and I find this the best thing for helping to sooth and get rid of it quickly, I tend not to go get antibiotics unless it's really bad otherwise I'd be on them all the time but I do always have throat spray aswell which really helps when you want to eat, as it numbs it all for a little while, don't know if you can buy it over the counter as I always get it on prescription but definitely worth asking Dr. for if you want to eat over the next few days! lol

lottiesmummy Tue 23-May-06 19:07:48

I think the penecillin has finally started working, my throat is finally feeling a bit better, really hate having this

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: