Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pcos sufferers - how do you deal with the stubble?

(12 Posts)
ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 13-May-13 13:27:43

no cream or wax on earth can touch my facial hair <sob> even laser treatment didn't work and I am too embarrassed to go have it threaded to see if that works so I have to use tweezers and pluck out each hair individually.

Only problem is that within 48 hours, I have visible stubble but the hair is too short for the tweezers to grab it. I look like a bloke in drag. If I cover it with foundation I look like a bloke in full make up and drag!

Anyone have a solution?

Apart from letting it grow and plaiting it. I'm not quite ready for that (yet!)

Goldensunnydays81 Mon 13-May-13 14:28:49

I hate the stubble and end up shaving it every morning hmm PCOS is so crap isn't it!

FrazzleRock Mon 13-May-13 14:41:36

I take it you've tried Eflornithine cream from the GP? I still get a load of hair but it's definitely reduced (slightly).

I also tried laser and spent a small fortune, didn't work as it's a constant fight against hormones sad
Only thing that really works for me is a low sugar/GI diet. Easier said than done mind.

Ruprekt Mon 13-May-13 14:43:32

Low carbing has helped my pcos symptoms.

No sugar really does it good.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 13-May-13 14:47:25

No sugar? <faints>
grin

I have not tried the cream. I will go to the gp and ask for it.

Even metformin was a great big pile of crap.

and literally, too. Horrible horrible side effects.

bollockstoit Mon 13-May-13 14:49:19

My friend has hers threaded. Look for an indian beauty salon where it'll be done in private instead of in superdrug's window.

Showtime Tue 14-May-13 00:57:22

I'd try threading if possible, if not, have you thought of a home epilation gadget?

ripsishere Tue 14-May-13 05:01:00

I'd go for threading too. I am able to control mine with immac, however a friend of mine looks like Fred Flintstone within a day or so.
She reports much success with threading. All sensible threaders will have seen much worse than you think you've got.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 14-May-13 10:07:50

I have an epilator - it doesn't remove the hair! It breaks off at the root, leaving me with little black specs. I've bought two different ones - same result.

I once used wax and immac. One didn't remove it, so I immediately tried the other. Took the top layer of skin clean off...

...but left the bloody HAIR!

So that has left me with using tweezers. I can be sitting there fighting with the hair. Tugging away and the bugger won't come out. It's like they're cemented in!

I suppose I will have to pluck (harhar) up my courage and give threading a go. Oh, the humiliation if I am in the chair and they can't get the buggers out either.

PoppyAmex Tue 14-May-13 10:19:12

My Endo often said that until you get PCOS under control, are hair removal methods can be fairly temporary.

On metformin, did you take the slow release one? I never had problems with it, but I heard that a lot of people in the UK don't get prescribed the slow release one because it's a lot more expensive.

As for hair removal, you said you tried laser but was it proper laser or just IPL?

I found IPL absolutely useless but laser worked really well for me.

bollockstoit Tue 14-May-13 11:14:47

I think you can sometimes get threaders who come to your house a la mobile hairdressers

buildingmycorestrength Tue 14-May-13 16:13:12

Someone posted about this in style and beauty and LOADS of women said they bought a facial epilator from eBay for about £3 and it was brilliant. Only painful first time then they used it daily and it took approx 30 seconds. Sounded great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now