Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you've had a hysterectomy, with ovaries left behind, and you had PMT before...

(21 Posts)
Jacksmania Sun 12-May-13 23:18:35

... what happened to your PMT symptoms after the op?

Just curious. Will be having a hysterectomy (uterus, tubes and cervix removed, bladder lift and enterocoele repair - yes I am a proper mess in there) some time this year (I hope) and my really very lovely surgeon said I would still have breast tenderness and bloating if I have it now (some months yes, some months no) but in his opinion experience, most PMT symptoms are emotional what he actually said was 'in your head, no offence" - thanks for that so they should improve.

Opinions?

Jacksmania Mon 13-May-13 05:38:25

And the award for most boring thread ever goes to...

moi, obviously.

TanteRose Mon 13-May-13 05:48:52

Hi Jack smile

not boring at all - would imagine it would be relevant to quite a few people

when will they operate?

(your surgeon needs a smack grin) (not really, I am sure he is brill)

cardamomginger Mon 13-May-13 08:16:43

Shit Jacks sad.

Have you posted on the prolapse thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1688913-Pt-7-Feb13-Any-old-prolapse-Uterus-womb-prolapse-rectocele-cystocele-enterocele-urethrocele-incontinence-pelvic-floor-anterior-and-posterior-repair-TVT-etc

There is some overlap in terms of posters between Prolapse and Ragged Bits, but there're a lot of posters who are only on Prolapse. Lovely bunch, lots of helpful advice.

XX

digerd Mon 13-May-13 12:13:11

Ridiculous. PMT is down to hormone imbalance before the period due.
emotional - YEAH, caused by the hormone imbalance.

He is a DR, he should know [ shock]

digerd Mon 13-May-13 12:14:21

shock - failed last time.

GemmaTeller Mon 13-May-13 12:16:33

I had a hysterectomy and still have my ovaries, I don't have any pmt symptoms smile

Good luck with your op.

Jacksmania Mon 13-May-13 18:21:24

Ooooh Gemma - thanks, that sounds hopeful!! smile

I haven't posted on the prolapse thread, or at least, only once, to pop in, so to speak. I think I suffered a bit from information overload. That, and the differences in procedures here (Canada) and the UK. So I haven't been back. I might, though.

No surgical date yet - most likely towards the end of the year.

digerd grin

digerd Tue 14-May-13 19:57:20

Reading it back, I sounded as if I had the right PMT rage grin, but I'm too old for them - just the grumpy old woman syndromeblush.

Good luck with the op.

Jacksmania Tue 14-May-13 20:48:52

grin No you didn't, it was a point well made!

demolitionduo Tue 14-May-13 21:46:25

I too had a sub-total hysterectomy and have had no PMT symptoms since. Even my hideous migraines that I used to get have dramatically reduced.

Post-op you really need to take it slow & look after yourself (or ideally have someone look after you!) but once you turn that corner, it gets much easier.

Jacksmania Tue 14-May-13 23:20:29

I definitely plan to do a whole bunch of nothing for a while. My lovely parents will be coming to help look after me. Trust me - I am going to do nothing that will jeopardize this repair job!!

That's great to hear, demolitionduo - thanks!

cardamomginger Sat 18-May-13 23:04:24

Hi Jacks,

Just had a thought. Have you tried looking on the HysterSisters site?

www.hystersisters.com/

When I thought it was looking like I was heading for a hysterectomy, I checked it out and it looks really good. It's also US based, so might be more relevant for you in terms of actual procedures and the likely process of being in hospital.

XX

Jacksmania Wed 22-May-13 01:57:35

How did I miss your post, CG? blush

I will check them out - thanks!!! thanks

cardamomginger Wed 22-May-13 09:54:16

S'ok Jacks - too busy perving over Angel and Buffy I expect wink. XX

Jacksmania Thu 23-May-13 04:40:27

<snicker>

TitsForBrains Thu 23-May-13 04:57:04

I have had a sub total hysterectomy and still get my PMT symptoms. I have been back on Zolodex for the last 6 months to confirm whether the problems are hormone driven. I am due to go back to my consultant next month to decide whether to have my ovaries removed too.

I did get quite a while after the op before the symptoms were back to an unbearable level though.

Jacksmania Thu 23-May-13 15:59:47

Boooooo sad

KurriKurri Thu 23-May-13 16:24:59

HI jacksmania - I had a hysterectomy and one ovary was left when I was 38, - my horrific PMT symptoms along with my horrific periods disappeared after my op. To coin a cliche, I felt like a new woman grin

Good luck with your op. smile

Jacksmania Fri 24-May-13 06:21:25

Thanks Kurri - you PMd me your story last year (or was it this year - its all a bit of a blur) and I remember and was so grateful that you shared your experience with me.
Ok. From what I can see, consensus leans towards less or no PMT.
EXCELLENT. grin

KurriKurri Fri 24-May-13 13:26:24

That's right jacksmania - I remember smile - Hope you get a great result from your op - I'm sure you will smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now