Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

how long without solids is okay?

(8 Posts)
forevermore Sun 21-May-06 08:14:22

9.5month old dd normally has 3 meals a day and 21ozs of milk. she has teeth coming through, temperature controlled by calpol, chest infection (mild) but put on antibiotics for first time. hasn't had solids for 3 days only milk. she vomits up all solids when coughing up phlegm.

she is well in herself, miraculously, but now worried that its 4th day and still not wanting to take food and just vomited up bottle when i stupidly tried to force her medicine down her throat only 2 min after finishing bottle and not yet having had her morning cough!

she has stopped coughing during the day, only when after a long sleep, which i assume is due to he build up of phlegm whilst sleeping.

anyones else baby been through this at such a young age?

is the teeth coming through significant to not wanting solids perhaps.

how long is acceptable without solids?

please give advice if you can, i am sooo worried now

NotQuiteCockney Sun 21-May-06 08:18:15

Goodness, in some cultures it used to be normal to not offer any solids until a year! Your DD doesn't need solids, she knows what's best for her. Please don't worry, it's always stressful when they're ill, but it sounds like your little one is fine.

carol3 Sun 21-May-06 08:37:39

My kids never eat at all when they have temp or are ill not even chocolate so i know they must be ill. Don't worry to much the most important thing is fluids. My 2 year old had an ear infection a couple of months ago and ate nothing for a week

Twiglett Sun 21-May-06 08:50:06

she doesn't 'need' solids

it wouldn't bother me if a child went a week or more without food so long as they were drinking

CarolinaMoose Sun 21-May-06 08:57:37

ds went without solids for about a week when he was 12mo because of teething. He was fine. Breastmilk and formula are more calorific than a lot of things they eat at that age and full of nutrients.

Hope she feels better soon.

forevermore Sun 21-May-06 10:37:47

ow much milk should 9.5 month old she have to compensate for not having solids?

chapsmum Sun 21-May-06 11:21:40

if she has a stuffed up nose she will be off her food because she can nottast it. Additionally she will probably be gulping alot of air and swalling allot of phlegm from her nose. This is really irritating tro the stomach.
Try not to worry. Keep her fluids up. Try a slow flow teat on her bottle and give her little and often.
Otravine nasal drops can be used in a ten months old if you feel 0she is congested.
I have heard people on mumsnet say that teething should have no symptoms and always be reluctant to put things down to teething however my chap was ILL when he was teething. He just sat on my knee all day and as soon as the tooth cut he was back to normal.
What I would say is that teething probably shouldnt go on for a long period of time. He was unwell for 24 hours.
If you has an uncontrollable temp or is not improving I would give your gp a ring in the morning
HTH

chapsmum Sun 21-May-06 11:22:47

just keep offering her it, try not to worry about specific measurements just give little and often (as much as she will take)
aim for 10ml of fluid /milk every 10 mins till her tummy settles

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: