Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Got Laryngitis have i given DD Croup?

(9 Posts)
Liskey Sat 11-May-13 15:53:35

I've had laryngitis, I think for the last week (feels like razor blades in throat, glands were up but have now gone down thank goodness) but painful throat continues - when do I give in and go to GP? And can they do anything anyway?

Worse DD who's 3 was staying at IL's last night developed croup while there - have I given her this sad? And is there anything else I can do to help her - poor mite is asleep now as she's shattered.

Thanks

Sirzy Sat 11-May-13 15:54:44

Fresh air is fantastic for croup attacks.

digerd Sat 11-May-13 16:58:59

I had Laryngitis some years ago, but I had a raised temperature and lost my voice. GP put me on ABs.
I didn't have small DC and nobody else got it. Can't say if you have given your baby the Croup.
Are you taking ABs?

Liskey Sat 11-May-13 17:17:57

Cheers for the replies.

I had the raised temperature a week ago. I hadn't gone to the doctor's as I thought there wasn't a lot they could do for it, so no not on ABs.

DD had an hour's nap and then run around the garden, but still seems very croaky. I'll remember about the fresh air - it could be worse apparently DH had it when young and was in hospital in an oxygen tent! DD doesn't seem too bad, I think, just croaky voice and coughing occasionally - see what she's like tonight.

digerd Sat 11-May-13 20:02:48

I know I almost lost my voice as so croaky and remember having a weird feeling of tentacles of mucus like an octopus clinging to my Larynx.
After 2 weeks all seemed well, but was amazed at my sudden, but temporary, brilliant Alto singing voice, and was dragged into a Xmas Carol singing Choir. grin

As DD has been running around the garden, she's OK [smile.

digerd Sat 11-May-13 20:03:36

smile

JollyOrangeGiant Sat 11-May-13 20:08:32

Croup is always worse overnight. 24mo DS had it on Sunday night. The doctor we saw said that he's seen 6 cases in the last week.

His advice was to take DS outside if he starts 'crouping' through the night. If he's still coughing and making noise when he breathes in after 10 minutes of being outside in the cold then call OOH and get a doctor to give him some steroid solution.

30ish Sat 11-May-13 20:12:55

My son suffers from croup whenever he gets a virus. Therefore, I think you (in a VERY roundabout way, and completely impossible to prevent) may have introduced bugs/germs that led to croup. But you'll never know so why beat yourself up about it? My sons worst ever episode of croup happened a few days before he came out in chicken pox. I think he got the virus and developed croup because of it. He gets croup a few days before he becomes ill with coughs and colds. Hope you feel much better soon and that your DD doesn't have any further croup episodes.

Liskey Sun 12-May-13 08:47:21

Cheers all. I'll remember the advice about going outside in case she gets it again.

DD slept all night and woke up coughing at 6.30 however she now says she's better and wants to go swimming! shock typical child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now