Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about the coil?

(8 Posts)
DorisShutt Sat 11-May-13 15:39:49

I have heavy periods and am borderline anaemic with low iron stores.

The GP has investigated for fibroids and PCOS to no avail - it just seems that I am unlucky. She has suggested putting in a coil to reduce the flow - type unspecified.

However, the Family Planning web pages seem to suggest that the coil will lead to increased bleeding - so now I'm confused.

So, do you have one, does it reduce periods and is it comfy?

Moomoomee Sat 11-May-13 15:42:44

I had one before DS. I reduced the flow only marginally tbh. You don't notice you've got in in though.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 11-May-13 15:44:54

There are 2 kinds, hormonal and non hormonal and I think it's the hormonal one that is supposed to improve periods. My sil had one put in a few weeks ago for this reason so not sure if its worked yet.

Moomoomee Sat 11-May-13 15:45:39

Oh yep should have mentioned mine was non hormonal

MirandaWest Sat 11-May-13 15:53:25

I have a Mirena coil and no periods. Is good smile

Queenofknickers Sat 11-May-13 16:11:38

I had a mirena for 6 yrs - periods stopped completely BUT had spotting and cramping on and off for first 2 years....

meditrina Sat 11-May-13 16:14:55

Did you know MN has a contraception forum?

There are quite a few recent coil threads, so you might find it helpful to have a read of what is in there.

QueenofLouisiana Sat 11-May-13 21:47:44

I have a mirena. I spotted a lot for the first few months, but haven't had any other problems. No periods for the last 6 years, I don't know it's there (although you do have to check its there from time to time!). Insertion is quite uncomfortable- take painkillers before the appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now