Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Uneven pupil size?

(20 Posts)
Lact8 Sat 20-May-06 15:18:41

Has anyone experienced this, or know anyone who has?

Left pupil dilated, right one not? Both contract in light but the left one doesn't return to normal size

TIA

Auntymandy Sat 20-May-06 15:19:17

ever or just slow?

Lact8 Sat 20-May-06 15:20:18

Started a couple of days ago, left always more dilated than the right

tribpot Sat 20-May-06 15:24:49

I would get yourself to the GP. My cousin mentioned a condition called Horner's Syndrome to me which can manifest as unequal pupils, when she noticed my ds has a slightly droopy eyelid (she is an eye surgeon). I'm sure you don't have that or anything serious of course, but I think it's worth getting it checked out. Might even be worth asking an optician, since they actually work at weekends!

katiebl Sat 20-May-06 15:33:06

My dad has just been found to have this and his was diagnosed as a droopy eyelid (even though you couldn't really see it to look at him). Its worth getting it checked out though. Go to optician - they'll send you to the doctor if they're not sure. It can (rarely) be a sign of something worse, so check it out.

Lact8 Sat 20-May-06 15:35:15

Thanks tribpot, lol about opticians!

I'm off to see both on Monday, luckily vision not affected but I do look a bit freaky at the moment

Deliberately not googling it as I'm sure I'll come up with worst case scenario on the first link and spend all weekend 'developing' symptoms!

tribpot Sat 20-May-06 15:43:00

Shame it's not Halloween

Seriously though, hope it all goes okay on Monday. I spent about three days convincing myself my ds' pupils were the same size after my cousin's scaremongering!

Frieda Sat 20-May-06 15:45:21

Hi Lact8

Yes, you should definitely see your doc - DH had this a couple of years ago and was sent off immediately for a scan, as it can be an indication of Horner's, although he's actually fine. Let us know how you get on.

F

Lact8 Sat 20-May-06 15:52:09

at halloween!!!

Lact8 Sat 20-May-06 15:54:16

Thanks Frieda, glad to hear he's okay

Did he suffer from headaches at all? Are his eyes still uneven?

Frieda Sat 20-May-06 16:13:11

Yes, he did have headaches, actually, which was what made him go to the doc's - I thought the uneven pupils looked a bit odd, but had no idea it could be an indicator of anything worrying, to be honest (although an acupuncturist friend has told me subsequently that it's one of the things they're told always to refer on to a doctor). It seems he had wrenched his neck somehow while cycling and must have somehow damaged a nerve, which resulted in the funny eye. The scan showed he'd also slightly damaged the wall of a blood-vessel, too, and he had to take low-dose aspirin for a while afterwards to ensure there was no danger of clotting.

His pupils are still slightly uneven and he has his vision and eye-pressure checked by an optitian every year, but otherwise everything seems perfectly normal.

Hope everything's equally fine for you.

Joceybean Sun 21-May-06 18:54:11

I suffered with something similar a year ago. My pupils were different sizes and one eye became slightly blurred. I was sent to the eye hospital and after lots of tests and head scratching I was told they thought it was an accommodative spasm. Apparently people who do close up work or students get it. It effects the focusing of the eye. Although my pupils are still different sizes, the blurring comes and goes now. Strange though because I am not a student and have not done any close up work?!

Lact8 Sun 21-May-06 19:12:30

Thanks Joceybean, I'm not a student (yet) and my vision isn't affected but maybe my close up work is too much time spent on MN

Joceybean Sun 21-May-06 20:26:06

Most likely!

Lact8 Mon 22-May-06 16:28:41

Well, I went to the Drs this morning. My eye has been fluctuating between being dilated and being normal. But the headache on my left side has been awful.Sod's Law that my pupil was normal when I had my appointment. He checked me for signs of a stroke, said the headaches are probably tension or due to my eyesight and said I needed to go to an optician.

So I went to the optician and luckily they could see me straight away. She said that I have perfect vision I'd seen some lovely glasses while I was waiting and was quite disappointed

She said that there's nothing that she could see so phoned the eye department at our local hospital. They've told her to refer me via my doctors.

She was lovely and said that she'll be based at this branch all week, if I can go to her and she can see the pupils at different sizes she will give me an immediate referral to the hospital.

I'm really hoping that it dilates again soon because my whole eyeball feels just a bit too big for my socket and the headaches are really getting me down.

Thanks to all who posted

Frieda Mon 22-May-06 22:40:22

Hi Lact

Just checked in here, so apologies if you're not online at the mo.

Just wanted to ask, did the optician check your eye pressure (with one of those little blowy things that they puff air right into your eye)? Only asked, because that is one of the things DH has to keep a lookout for, with his condition, and just made me think when you said your eye felt too big for its socket.

Just a thought - you're probably absolutely fine.

Frieda Mon 22-May-06 22:41:52

...and you probably got off lightly with the nice frames you saw. My last ones cost me over £250 in total

Lact8 Tue 23-May-06 00:12:49

Hi Frieda

Only just logged on, spent all evening doing my ironing <Lact8 polishes her halo>

I think the only thing she didn't check was the eye pressure. Pupil dilated again at 4:50pm today so not enough time to ge to opticians before they closed Aaaarghh!!

Hoping it'll still be up in the morning but I'll definately ask her to check the pressure when I go again.

at cost of your glasses! The ones I liked were half that but didn't include lenses so I'm guessing that would bump the price up a bit.

Frieda Tue 23-May-06 10:48:47

Yes, mine were only (only!) about £145 before the lenses, then I was persuaded to have some special coating so they wouldn't reflect and different glass for driving, etc etc...

Let us know how you get on.

Lact8 Tue 23-May-06 17:06:33

Normal all day and now its dilated again just in time for opticians to close!! <exasperated emoticon>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: