Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Does anyone else have children with hearing problems in school?

(8 Posts)
foxinsocks Fri 19-May-06 19:21:09

Just looking for a few pointers really.

Dd (in yr1, 6 in August) has been diagnosed with mild hearing loss in one ear and moderate in the other (with severe on some of the decibels associated with speech) - most likely caused by glue ear. I won't bore you with all the details but essentially, we are going for a repeat hearing test in June and if there is no/slight improvement, the grommet op will probably go ahead in October.

We have made the school aware of the problem but dd is becoming more and more frustrated. Yesterday, I was called to collect her from school at lunchtime because they said she had a high temp and she said she was dizzy. She definitely didn't have a temp but she has got a cold and because of that on top of her hearing problem, she is virtually deaf. She hasn't said it in so many words but I could feel the relief once we left school and I think it is because she is finding it so difficult.

I have spoken to the school nurse and her teacher and they say she is fine at school - she sits at the front for everything and they pointed out that she had come top in a spelling test recently (i.e. had to hear the words to be able to do that). However, I think it is as much to do with not hearing in the playground as it is not hearing in the classroom - also it's frustration on her part I think.

Is there anything more I should/could be asking the school to do or is it a case of just waiting it out till her op?

gothicmama Fri 19-May-06 19:42:52

nothing constructive to add dd is inthe same boat so will atch with interest

foxinsocks Fri 19-May-06 19:46:06

how old's your dd?

gothicmama Fri 19-May-06 19:49:40

she's 5 in reception 6 in December repeat test dur in September then the big decision. It is worse if she has a cold as well

gothicmama Fri 19-May-06 19:49:55

dur = due

foxinsocks Fri 19-May-06 19:57:29

At the moment, I would quite happily let them do the op tomorrow (but then dd has already had one op, a hernia op, so the whole idea of her being operated on doesn't frighten me as much as it used to!).

However, we got 2 opinions and both said because she is getting older (it often clears with age at around 6-7 because all their nasal/ear passages have matured) and because it is nearly summer, it is worth waiting to see if there is any improvement. However both thought that because of the severity of the hearing loss that she would end up having the operation.

Is your dd managing ok at school?

gothicmama Fri 19-May-06 20:00:58

some days seem better- classroom experience has improved since talking with the teachers but sure of playground as she canmis hear some words. I have also been told about the age and summer making a difference but it does not seem to address the problem now and they have provided no advice on how to manage it now

Weatherwax Fri 19-May-06 20:36:45

My dd who is 8 is now on her 3rd set of grommits. She was suffering from a 40% hearing loss when in reception. The change in her after each operation was stunning and dispite the agony of putting her through the first op it was well worth it. Her consultant did say by the age of 8 she should have grown out of it but in her case he has given her the latest op, another specialist she saw for somthing alse was very surprised that this consultant gave her another op, his reputation is for resisting ops at 8.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: