Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

back pain red flags

(11 Posts)
gallifrey Tue 07-May-13 16:44:52

I have a history of back problems and currently see a chiropractor twice a week. I was hospitalised 3 years ago with suspected cauda equina syndrome due to bilateral sciatica and incontinence. I haven't been right since then, also guillian barre was mentioned but not confirmed. I also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
Yesterday I really hurt my back and for once the pain is on the right side rather than the left. Last night I had sciatic pain down to my ankles on both legs and burning sensations and tingling. Also a sharp pain in the front of my right thigh. I haven't had any bladder or bowel issues. I went to the chiropractor this morning and he adjusted me and said if I do have any bladder or bowel changes to go to A&E.
I am really worried and although I have taken painkillers I'm still in agony. Dh wants me to go to the doctor but I'm worried they will admit me to hospital again. They cant give me any more painkillers I'm already on loads anyway. I have 2 dds and already struggle to look after them and tidy up sad

PavlovtheCat Tue 07-May-13 18:11:40

It sounds like a trapped nerve to me. Do you have numbness in your legs? Or feet? Or foot even? I have a prolapsed disc and kjust today been told I am having surgery to repair it, and I have constant leg pain, sometimes so severe I cannot walk for it. Sometimes I have horrendous back pain with it, sounds like you are having an 'acute' episode. You most definitely need to see your gp for further investigations, as if you valve had this before, it may well be disc related, and I know from experience MRI won't always show things fully at first, it can take a good year or so to manifest itself onto the MRI enough for something wrong to be visible. What did they say when you went into hosp for QES? Something is causing it?

In the mean time, I was given some fab advice for nerve pain from I think it was lequeen (sorry it it was someone else!) who recommended rubbing deep heat direct into the area the pain comes from in the butt, probably about a third down for sciatic pain. Also, heat pad/wheat pad helps me, and funnily so does some gently walking, it hurts to walk, but if I can get myself moving I can sometimes ride it out, not always. Sometimes I take diazepam and go to bed crying.

The red flags are, incontinence, either bladder or bowel, foot droop or numb/tingling saddle area including genitals. But to be honest, and from my own bitter experience of not listening to my pain, if you are in so much pain that you cannot control it at home on your pain meds and they cannot be increased safely, you probably should be in hospital for some better pain releif. I ignored that and suffered, I would say in silence but I moaned on here! Bt didn't go to hospital when I should have. I won't ever do that again, and brace myself for that decision a lot (including now!)

PavlovtheCat Tue 07-May-13 18:15:18

Oh, and you got to just ignore the tidying up. You got to let that go for now. Muddle through til kids are in bed, relying on DH as much as you can. If you can even go to bed, you must do it. And if you can take diazepam ask your ooh for a couple of tablets, honestly I would not be able to cope at all without that drug on my worst days.

gallifrey Tue 07-May-13 22:11:13

thank you, I already take amitriptyline, naproxen, ibuprofen and cocodamol 30/500 and they are not doing anything, I'm still in agony. I don't have any numbness but my feet are very tingly, have pain all round my pelvis and in my legs. Might try and get an emergency appt tomorrow at my useless doctors but I won't hold my breath!
No matter what I say to them they never seem to do anything.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 07-May-13 22:20:06

Don't take naproxen and ibuprofen at the same time!! See your gp ASAP.

gallifrey Tue 07-May-13 22:32:31

really? I asked the doctor and he said it was ok to take them at the same time

timidviper Tue 07-May-13 22:39:39

No. It is ok to take Co-Codamol with either naproxen or ibuprofen but you should not take both.

Naproxen may be slightly stronger but the advantage of ibuprofen is it is three times a day so it is easy to stagger the doses with Co-Codamol which is four times a day to get a spread of pain control

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 07-May-13 22:48:44

Honestly not ok to take both together, your poor tummy! They are in the same family of drugs.

PavlovtheCat Tue 07-May-13 22:49:04

agree, don't take two different NSAID drugs at the same time. Choose either ibruprofen OR napraxen.

If you are taking so much and still in pain, really speak to your GP. It's not good that you are in so much pain sad

gallifrey Wed 08-May-13 15:45:18

phoned the doctor they are prescribing me some tramadol to be taken with paracetamol and more naproxen but she said to stop taking cocodamol.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 08-May-13 16:27:28

Yeah, you can't mix tramadol and cocodamol, but what it does now mean is that you can take your full complement of paracetamol and naproxen along with the tramadol. Watch the tramadol and amitriptyline together though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now