Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Do children HAVE to be unwell to get chickenpox?

(8 Posts)
Heartmum2Jamie Fri 19-May-06 11:27:25

Only, my ds (23 months) has a spots that look suspiciously like the pox (I am guessing as ds1 not had them yet). He felt a tad warm the other day, but not warm enough to warrent giving him anything. He didn't sleep well that night, so I relented and gave him calpol thinking it could be back teeth. He was right as rain yesterday...but now....spots!!

Do they have to be unwell to have chickenpox?? He is sneezing a little but has hayfever.

sparkler1 Fri 19-May-06 11:30:39

No they don't always get unwell. My dds were fine - just the spots that gave it away.

moyasmum Fri 19-May-06 12:54:55

Agree with sparkler1 - Dd1 had slight smiffles and about 4 spots I was expecting a whole lot more and was amazed she got away so lightly.H2J,
have you had chicken pox as a child ?
I never did and as a result of dd1 I got the full works which was truely horrid.
Grateful though because 3 months later i was preg with dd2 ,so dd1 did me a great favour.
best wishes

coppertop Fri 19-May-06 12:56:52

Neither of my 2 boys were unwell when they had CP. In fact the first I knew that ds1 had it was when the school phoned late one morning to tell me that spots had started appearing on him.

GDG Fri 19-May-06 12:58:06

No. My two had it at 3.5 and 21 months and neither were ill with it at all. They got it in the summer too - they weren't immunocompromised when they caught it and they didn't feel ill with it either.

LIZS Fri 19-May-06 13:02:03

No they can be fine, just spotty , but ds did become sleepy a day or two in

cat64 Fri 19-May-06 13:18:44

Message withdrawn

Heartmum2Jamie Fri 19-May-06 13:22:25

Thank you all! Gp has said he would put money on it being CP, but can't be certain as the spots are still quite new. I am glad to know that he won't nessecarily be unwell or even have tons of spots.

Thanksfully, I have had CP, as well as my dh. It's just my ds1, who will be 5 in 1 week who hasn't had it (poor lovely will probably have it for his birthday )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: