Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Reflux problem or am I over feeding ds (2yrs)

(8 Posts)
Sandi102 Thu 18-May-06 21:48:33

DS (2) has been vomiting after lunch and tea for the last 4 days..he has never been like this before and I'm at my wits end..

He's not suffering with diarohhea and generally he's his normal happy self in between meals and during meals. He's happy to eat and want food. However, after 5-10 minutes of finishing his meal, he screams and out it comes.

My MIL is driving me up the wall, telling me I'm over feeding him, but I've not increased his portions, he's eating the same food and portions as he's had for the last 2-3 months. Just to give you an idea:
8.00 - Weetabix
10.0 - Red Apple
1.30-2.00 - Chicken and Veg portion equivilant to a 10month old jar food
(2.10 SICK)
3.30 - Yoghurt and Fruit
5.30-6.30 Chappati with curry (only very small amounts)
(6.45 SICK)

Could reflux develop at this stage, in his 2's? I would search the archives, but I can't wait until 2moro. Can anyone give me any advice 2night?

LIZS Thu 18-May-06 21:51:52

He could have a bug without yet having diaorrhea. Rotavirus can start as vomitting and takes days to develop fully. Not heard of reflux starting so late tbh.

Sandi102 Thu 18-May-06 21:58:53

Thanx LizS..i forgot to mention DS has a kidney reflux problem which he takes trimethoprim for every night..so he could have uti...

he's only had a high temp when being sick and goes back to normal after a while..However, getting his urine tested is a nightmare..which will confirm whether he has a uti..my GP doesn't have any bags, so they give me the bottle!..what am i supposed to do with that??!!...direct his willy and ask ds to pee into it?..as if!.

chapsmum Thu 18-May-06 22:33:51

sandi would say it is more likely to be a bug.
reflux in babies is due to an immature sphincter in the stomach that get better with time, it does not usually suddenly appear at the age of 2.
On the urine front, you can ask your GP for a sterile foil bowl then just take the nappy off and give him loads to drink and follow him round.
He will probably pee when he goes from sitting to standing.
Antibiotics can interfere with the natural flora of the gut and make him more prone to heartburn and tummy bug
give him probiotics (yoghurt etc)

HTH

Sandi102 Fri 19-May-06 22:17:29

i get the test results back on mon..we've resisted main meals today and gave lots of little snacks of fruit and veg..and has NOT been sick..how long should the little snacks go on for?..i can't help it but i want to feed him a main meal, cuz i just don't think he's satisfied..he's a small toddler anyway, not chubby in any sense..but his brother and father were the same..so we put it down to genetics..he really wants to eat his main meals too, however will persist with smaller portions, but don't know how long for..i wish the archive search was working..as i'm sure there's prob been similar threads in the past..

chapsmum Fri 19-May-06 23:34:12

I would say 24 hours after he has last vomited and then keep the food quite bland, and see how you go

HTH

Sandi102 Sun 21-May-06 11:23:47

so we've cut down on the portions but ds has been waking up at 5.00am hungry..gave him a bottle and no sickness since yesterday..

he has also come out with 2 red blothcy spots on his face..should i be concerned about this? I've looked in my health book and the only thing that comes close is measles!..he's had the chicken pox about 3 months ago..so its not pox..

sorry to be a pain..but his sickness remains a mystery to me..as he remains very happy and playful at all other times

chapsmum Sun 21-May-06 11:31:42

do the bloches look like nettle rash??
If so it could just be urticharia which is very common during viral infections.
as for the feeding if he is 24 hours clear of sickness I would be letting him eat bland foods till he was full.
Am glad he is otherwise ok, there are a lot of strange unexpainable viral illnesses.
If you need re-assurance you could phone nhs 24

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: