Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My baby has 6 toes...what should I do?

(20 Posts)
KTRmummyof3 Thu 18-May-06 19:52:54

Been given conflicting advice by two consultants on whether I should remove it, or not. Has anyone else been in this situation? Feeling worried about making the right decision.

Rhubarb Thu 18-May-06 19:55:57

Depends on whether it will impair his walking, or make finding shoes difficult. I know people who like having these eccentricities about them, they say it's a part of them. But I guess you need to decide whether it will be more of a hinderance to your baby when he/she grows up or not. Having it removed now rather than later would be better for baby.

foxinsocks Thu 18-May-06 19:58:14

one of dd's friends had this (I think it is quite common?)

she had the sixth toe removed but I think it was a fairly easy op as it wasn't the most complicated case (think it depends on where the toe is situated)

sorry I can't be more help - what are the consultants saying?

fairyfly Thu 18-May-06 19:59:38

depends on the type of toe, is it a boney one?

anniebear Thu 18-May-06 20:00:44

If it were my daughter and was a very simple op I would have it done

SauerKraut Thu 18-May-06 20:01:07

From experience- bitter or otherwise!- I would definitely say leave it unless it actually causes problems. Operations, no matter how small, often have future repercussions, and the foot is a difficult part of the body when it comes to healing well.

WigWamBam Thu 18-May-06 20:12:13

I was born with six toes (additional one between the big toe and the next one) and I had surgery when I was tiny. There were no problems with the surgery, it was a minor procedure, and there's been no problems with my foot since.

As a child I would have been mortified to have additional toes purely because it seemed so important to fit in, but as an adult I have to say that I wish my parents had refused the surgery. It feels like it was a part of me that I should have had some say in what happened to and I would have preferred them to leave it alone and let me make the decision when I was older.

There can be two types - one where there is a properly formed toe, and one where there is just a small bud. If the toe is properly formed it's actually not all that noticeable, it's the small bud type ones that are more obvious. Usually neither of them cause any real problem, unless it's in a place where it makes shoes difficult to fit.

KTRmummyof3 Thu 18-May-06 20:27:09

WOW! First time I have used this site (it was recommended) and thank-you so much for all your advice. One consultant said have the sixth one off before he walks, the other gave no clear direction on what should be done...very wishy washy. Said it was up to me!! Both did say it would be x-rayed before, but both said it does have a bone (and nail). I'm actually fond of it and wonder if I wait until he walks, will it hinder the walking? (who can say) And I'll be feeling even more anxious too

MrsMuddle Thu 18-May-06 20:27:37

My DS was born with his small toes curling over the top of his foot. Surgery was an option, but they've never given him any problems and he's quite happy with his unique feet. But my friend's DD was born with webbing between her toes, and her parents also decided against surgery, as it would only have been for cosmetic reasons. However, she is now a teenager and is very self-conscious about her webbed feet. It's completely un-noticable to anyone but her, but she refuses to wear sandals and dislikes swimming because of her feet. Her mum now wishes she'd had the op when she was small. It's not clear if you have a DS or a DD, but that might be something to think about. Not an easy decision.

notasheep Thu 18-May-06 20:31:35

My dad has 6 toes-looks like an extra little toe hasnt been any problem and he is now 78

LeahE Thu 18-May-06 20:41:29

I'd be inclined to leave it unless it looks as though it will cause a problem with walking or finding shoes to fit.

doobydoo Thu 18-May-06 20:42:50

My small toe curls over the top of the toe next to it and my mum was told i might have pain and difficulty walking when i got older...but its fine and i am noe 37.Its just asthetics for me..i suppose it would depend on whether the exta toe would cause physical probs as any surgery can be nerve wracking for .
My mum said that when i was born it made her realise just how perfect i was!..i think she has changed that opinion nowas we clash lots.
I loved the way you said that you have become fond of it thats really lovely and your ds is lucky.. to have you good luck with whatever you decide to do.

anniebear Thu 18-May-06 21:03:26

I think though if it were me and as I got older and I found out I could have had it removed when a baby I would not have been impressed at my Parents for not getting it removed

you know what kids are like

Obviously not many other kids would get to see it, but then theres swimming, getting changed for PE etc

slartibartfast Thu 18-May-06 21:05:34

Well, you've a few years before The Chrysalids comes up on the GCSE curriculam :-)

NotAnOtter Thu 18-May-06 21:09:14

personally i would leave it....thats him and its special.none of us is perfect.He might even like it. vive la difference!

Rhubarb Thu 18-May-06 21:16:33

I dunno, if you have a confident little girl then it probably won't bother her. It all depends on how you go about it I suppose. I had very very tiny boobs when I was a teenager, PE was a nightmare, I used to get vests thrown at me to wear and asked if I was a boy or not. Of course surgery was never suggested!

Now I still have small boobs, but I'm a lot more confident. I'm going to make sure that dd has tons of confidence in her self image too.

None of us are perfect and I think sometimes it's nice to feel that we are accepted flaws and all. Too often individual traits are removed to make someone more like the others, I feel this is a great shame.

So, there you go. It depends on how you will view this extra toe and how big a deal it will be in the future.

LeahE Thu 18-May-06 21:39:33

> I think though if it were me and as I got older and I found out I could have had it removed when a baby I would not have been impressed at my Parents for not getting it removed

Trouble is, I think if it were me and I found out as I got older that my parents had had it removed when I was a baby I would not have been impressed at them for getting it removed -- so the completely opposite attitude. And it's hard to tell in advance which attitude the child is going to have -- hence my suggestion to leave it. If the child wants it removed later it can be done then, but if its removed now and they want it back you're a bit stuffed.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 21:41:30

I have webbed feet and i like them, i think they are actually quite pretty and the first thing i asked after my son was born was did he have my feet. He doesnt and i was quite gutted as i think they look nicer.

SueW Thu 18-May-06 21:46:49

DD grew an extra tooth at the back of her front lower teeth. SHe had to have others removed and so they took that out at the same time (under GA). That was 3 years ago. Just a couple of days ago she said she wished it hadn't been taken away as it was so comforting to her.

sottovoce Fri 19-May-06 20:01:12

Slightly different but here goes... my parents didn't fix my wonky teeth when I was a child as they thought they were mine, unusual, etc etc. I felt embarrassed by them and could not wait to get them put right as an adult. Much more mortifying in your 20s than in your teens when the whole world wears braces.

If it were me and my DD with the 6th toe - after my orthodontic experience - I would sort it now, whilst she was young enough not to feel self conscious about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: