Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

my son -3 fell in pond this morning ...advice pls

(26 Posts)
jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:37:11

I dont know if he drank any, do i need to worry i know it is very algiee.

meowmix Thu 18-May-06 13:38:40

I wouldn't unless he starts having tummy probs to be honest. prob didn't taste nice but the acid in the stomach kills off most nasties

Marina Thu 18-May-06 13:39:09

jellyjelly, get him checked over by a GP. It is very, very unlikely he has been exposed to anything except the nastiest of shocks, so sorry for you and him.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:42:52

i know nothing about ponds so dont know if they are harmful.

Marina Thu 18-May-06 13:50:16

They are not basically harmful at all jellyjelly but in any UK standing water (canals, ponds etc) there is a small risk of developing a condition called Weil's Disease, caused by rats' urine in the water (sorry). It's a small risk.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:59:35

can you get vacinated against it or hjust wait and see? What are the symptons?

Surfermum Thu 18-May-06 14:03:06

You'd need to look out for flu' type symptoms. I think it's treated with antibiotics.

Marina Thu 18-May-06 14:03:56

Weil's Disease This gives the symptoms to look out for and emphasises that it is a rare condition, jellyjelly.
He's very unlikely to have caught it.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:04:15

thankyou, do you know how quickly it can start?

rosiesmumof4 Thu 18-May-06 14:15:24

I wouldn't bother taking him to the GP now, they won't be able to see or do anything atm. i would zip him there prety quick if he develops diarrhoea in the next 48 hrs, and take a stool sample with you. He should be fine.

Kathy1972 Thu 18-May-06 14:18:25

I read around the subject of Weil's disease when I was writing an article about open water swimming a few years ago. Interestingly there are actually very few cases in the summer, even though this is when most watersports take place (canoeists, swimmers etc have to be warned about it but in fact the majority of cases are in farmers) so there is a theory that it is killed by sunlight.
I really wouldn't be concerned about it though if your ds were to go down with flu-like symptoms and fever in the next few weeks you should definitely take him to the doctor and mention he has been in contact with water.
Personally I wouldn't have thought it necessary to take him to the GP unless he actually starts showing some symptoms, but perhaps that makes me a bad mummy

Kathy1972 Thu 18-May-06 14:20:05

x-posts, Rosiesmum - glad it's not just me that wouldn't take a child to the doctor immediately in that situation!

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:51:52

he is having a nap at the moment but will watch him for the next few weeks and whip him down there if he gets ill atall.

thanks all

morningpaper Thu 18-May-06 14:54:16

Gosh my smallies play in stagnant water in the garden all the time - stuff that collects in the wheelbarrow and water butt etc - I really wouldn't worry. xx

Blu Thu 18-May-06 14:59:11

I think it's places like ditches that have rats living in the banks that are a bit notorious for Weil's, isn't it? A friend's dog caught it swimming in a really stagnant ditch.

ruty Thu 18-May-06 15:01:52

i used to swim in the local canal when i was a child and i used to come down with tummy bugs all the time but that is because i swallowed loads. i wouldn't worry too much.

Marina Thu 18-May-06 15:04:46

I was at uni with someone who caught Weil's from a pond - it has made me a bit anxious about it I think
But the state of the pond and the fact that jellyjelly was not there herself to witness whether he swallowed some water made me feel I ought to mention it. It really is a low risk jellyjelly and I'm very sorry if I have added to your anxiety

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 15:20:57

I am glad it has been mentioned, i havent seen the pond (i know it has lots of algee but that is all i know_)and he cant tell me if he got his face wet or if he drank it. I feel better knowing about the risks so i can watch out for it.

jellyjelly Sun 21-May-06 20:03:23

He now has lots of diahroae, i dont think he drank any but could they be connected

jellyjelly Sun 21-May-06 20:03:27

He now has lots of diahroae, i dont think he drank any but could they be connected

threebob Sun 21-May-06 20:06:05

Take him to Dr with a stool sample. Giardia is another one from water, and that gives you stomach problems.

TLM2 Sun 21-May-06 20:11:05

Does he normally get diahorrea? If not I don't want to worry you but they could be connected. Perhaps you could call a local out of hours GP to get advice. Would put your mind at rest if nothing else?

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 20:13:44

there is a bout of 24-hr diarrhoea/tummy bug doing the rounds at the moment...perhaps he picked this up at nursery?

(I'm in ireland, but as far as I can tell the same flu's and bug's seem to hit both countries at the same time these days)

TLM2 Mon 22-May-06 13:18:41

Hi Jellyjelly, how is your son today?

jellyjelly Mon 22-May-06 17:50:11

He hasnt pooed yet which is good i thnk it must have been a bug and dp and i have had it aswell. So not worried now but thanks for asking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: