Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I cancel scan?

(5 Posts)
nemno Wed 01-May-13 11:56:51

Before Christmas my neck and shoulder were painful and I had pins and needles/numbness pretty constantly down the inside of my arm. I went for xray which revealed nothing. My scan appointment is finally coming up later this month but over the last weeks the symptoms have been getting so much better. I barely notice anything now.

So given that the GP was thinking trapped nerve/spinal disc problem is there any point in the scan.? Will those kinds of problems be gone or still visible? Would it be in any way useful even if they are? Obviously I don't want to waste resources (or my own time) so should I cancel soon enough that somebody else can be given appt? WWYD?

OldBeanbagz Wed 01-May-13 12:28:37

If it's something you've had for a while or on & off, i would keep the appointment. Even if it's barely noticable now, it would be better to take up the chance in case it returns.

I had a similar thing a few years ago and was diagnosed with neural tension of the ulnar. The pain was almost unbearable at times but with a couple of sessions of ultrasound, 6 physio sessions and most importantly giving up running, i'm now pain free.

You might want to look at your posture as it could be causing the pain. I'd had a shoulder injury several years previously and now have a tendancy to stick my head forward (especially when running) which caused my problems.

nemno Wed 01-May-13 17:38:43

Thank you for replying. You're saying pretty much what my husband is, drat smile

My pain, even at its worst doesn't sound anything like yours, it was the arm tingling/numbness that was getting me down. But you are right that posture is important to consider.

Waswondering Wed 01-May-13 17:44:42

I had numbness in my arm from my neck/shoulder. A few trips to the physio fixed it, and it's been fine since. Maybe see a physio? I was very glad for the face hole in the physio bed so tht he couldn't see me silently going AAARRRGGHH but it really worked.

nemno Wed 01-May-13 17:49:27

Sounds like that might have been a good thing to try way back in Dec when I was doing everything left handed (badly) Waswondering, glad it worked for you. Thing is there is no pain now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now