Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sleep/insomnia in teenagers

(7 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:42

DD (15) keeps waking at night & then not catching it again - I didn't think I could put this thread in the sleep topic

It's possibly exam stress (3 GCSEs this year)

We've tried rescue remedy which is working during the day

She can't do warm milk but has tried a warm bath (even tho' she'd rather shower)

Any suggestions? (I have ME so not sleeping has never been an issue for me)

orangeandemons Tue 30-Apr-13 20:28:15

I found phenergan tablets helpful for my ds with this. They are exactly the same as in Nytol but about a third of the price, and are a widely used and safe antihistamine

Branleuse Tue 30-Apr-13 20:30:36

over the counter - sominex, the antihistamine one in a blue packet (much less of a hangover than the herbal one)

piriton?

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 30-Apr-13 20:38:06

I'd avoid sleeping tablets and give a good multivitamin with high doses of vitamines of the B group + magnesium. They are great mood stabilisers and help nourish the brain/nerves in the long run.

Maybe a sleep aid just for a couple of nights if she's exhausted and needs to catch up?
But its really not a good habit to form in a teenager.

KatyMac Tue 30-Apr-13 20:44:06

It's tricky isn't it

Bad habits are hard to give up; that's why I went with the rescue remedy

It seems to be on nights when she has done less exercise & more study

I'll suggest the multivitamins & see how we go (we can fall back on more substantial stuff if that fails)

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 30-Apr-13 20:53:23

Its quite typical ....i guess her mind is still racing from the evening study.
The vitamins will really help. Just go for the max adult dose ( berocca is a good one to take in the morning due to the 500mg of vitamine).

That said, dont beat yourself up about forming bad habits, its exam time. Am sure feeling that you are there to support her will help a lot too.

KatyMac Tue 30-Apr-13 20:57:27

She does so much exercise sleeping hasn't really been a problem (except post performance when her mind needs time to 'come down')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now