Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just had a breast biopsy, am confused...

(7 Posts)
Bogeyface Tue 30-Apr-13 19:47:47

....both the doctors said that they were confident it was nothing to worry about. So why do the biopsy?

It isnt a cyst or fibro.....thingy, but it isnt presenting like C word either. So is this just because they want to find out what the hell it is?

It was a core biopsy and my boob feels like it has been run over.

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-Apr-13 19:56:58

They do need to know what things are - and of course theres always a tiny chance that its something nasty and with a lump they have to make completely sure

AnythingNotEverything Tue 30-Apr-13 19:59:57

They have to check. It's probably nothing, as they said. Try not to worry!

Bogeyface Tue 30-Apr-13 20:06:43

I got the feeling that the first doc I saw definitely thought that the doc that did the biopsy had done in unnecessarily, which made me wonder. Don't get me wrong, I would have it than not, just wondered what the criteria were as last time I was there I was told "Its a cyst, you'll be fine".

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 30-Apr-13 23:32:44

Sometimes it just doesn't fit any specific category by feel so they do a biopsy to confirm.
I have had two FNAs and a core biopsy, but the surgeon feels that the way the lump feels just doesn't correlate with any of the biopsy results which after all only tell about the bit they took. So after miChat thought on his part and mine weighing up stats etc the lump is coming out.
As a clinician myself I get the whole something about it doesn't just sit right with you, so you double, triple, quadruple check.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 01-May-13 14:41:04

I had a core biopsy done last year even though they were confident it was an infection. Results showed just infection and i had a long course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Take regular painkillers and try to put it out of your mind, i know not easy!

smee Wed 01-May-13 20:27:39

Bogey, in my experience they're quite honest - I was diagnosed with BC, but when they did the biopsy they said it probably was. If two doctors said confident it wasn't, then that's a great sign. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now