Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone treat fungal infections with essential oils?

(8 Posts)
interalia Tue 30-Apr-13 19:41:51

I've got a smallish patch of what the dr thinks is intertrigo just under my arm (but not in my actual arm pit). I've had it for a few months because at first I thought it was eczema and kept moisturising but it didn't go. Dr prescribed daktacort, sort of antifungal with hydrocortisone, but after a week had to stop using it because it has steroids in. Then went on to daktarin, which is the same anti-fungal with no steroid.

It was sort of clearing I think, but very slowly. I put some neat tea tree oil on it and this improved it quicker I think. But, deterred by the smell of tea tree I went back to the daktarin. Now, if anything, it has got slightly worse since tea tree oil stopped.

I did a bit of googling today (I know) and came across a study which said that some essential oils are effective antifungals, inc tea tree and also geranium and orange. This is weird, because I have a neals yard body wash with orange and geranium essential oils and I had thought that this was helping it a bit (has run out now).

So I was thinking of doing a blend of geranium/orange in a carrier oil and shoving that on it a few times a day.

Just wondering if anyone has had success with similar, or whether they can recommend any otc stuff? It is only a smallish patch but not v attractive and would like rid!!

I am making sure to wear clean clothes/bra every day and dry properly. Am not overweight, which I know sometimes causes intertrigo.

thanks

Jellykat Tue 30-Apr-13 20:15:56

I swear by Tea tree for any anti fungal treatments, havent heard about Geranium/ Orange essentials oils..

If you really have had enough of the tea tree smell, another alternative is a Marigold flower infusion as a wash (Marigold being Calendula which is anti fungal).. or i can PM you the name and phone number of a company that do a pure thick Calendula ointment which is lovely and works a treat.

interalia Tue 30-Apr-13 20:48:40

Thanks jellykat. I may try the geranium/orange for a week or so because it smells nice and it will be an interesting experiment. I shall report back with my findings.

On average how long did you find it took for the tea tree oil to work?

If you sent me the name for the Calendula ointment that would be fab, thanks

Jellykat Tue 30-Apr-13 21:37:06

Have PMed you smile

BeCool Tue 30-Apr-13 21:53:44

If you don't like tea tree oil try manuka oil from NZ. It is available here - very similar properties to tea tree oil but smells lovely (ok it's not as lovely as geranium but streets ahead of tea tree). You can use it neat.

I've used both to successfully treat athletes foot.

interalia Wed 01-May-13 17:07:42

I have actually decided now to just tea tree the hell out of it, as this seemed to be working before I got fed up with the smell and stopped using it. I just want this annoying rash to go now before it gets really hot and I want to wear strappy tops etc.

I have also just found out that the shower gel which seemed to help has calendula in it! So I'm going to get some calendula stuff as well...

Furball Wed 01-May-13 17:26:19

I've had this (for about 2 years). and I did exactly the same with all the different attempts etc.

anyway.......I then had dermatitis somewhere else (on my wrist) and the dr prescribed Betnovate. I just put the teeniest amount on my armpit and poof it vanished literally over a few days and never seen again.

It may not be fungal if it's not responding. Ask the Dr and say you think it's dermatitis

interalia Wed 01-May-13 17:53:08

Thanks Furball, something to think about. I do think it is fungal (googled candida albicans skin rash and it looks exactly the same type). But if the antifungal stuff doesn't work I shall definitely get hold of some Betnovate/go back to the docs. thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now