Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antibiotics - spaced evenly?

(8 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 30-Apr-13 18:42:00

DS (10 months) has a chest infection and was given antibiotics. They say take 3 times a day spaced evenly.

I would assume that it is best to space them as far as possible e.g. 8 hours apart but, surely then the instructions would just say take every 8 hours, no?

Does this mean take evenly throughout the daytime only e.g. every 4-6 hours?

Will they have more impact if spaced longer or shorter?

SwishSwoshSwoosh Tue 30-Apr-13 18:45:49

Unless given instructions otherwise I never woke the kids for drugs, so I would take one on rising, one before bed, one half way between.

Ask the doctor if you are worried.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 30-Apr-13 19:08:14

Ok thanks, he will be waking coughing all night anyway so won't need to wake him. Just wondering what way would be more effective really.

Doctors closed, could phone the pharmacist I guess.

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 21:38:28

3 times a day, should if possible be every 8 hours - don't know why that is not stated.

Kveta Tue 30-Apr-13 21:41:21

should be 8 hourly - it's to do with the half life of the drug in your system.

DD (also 10 months) was on ones that were 6 hourly, so we had to wake her at 1am for 5 nights to force medicine she hated down her screaming throat. Not fun. Worth it though, because they worked!

ilovepowerhoop Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:08

I have always just given them (and taken them) during the daytime and left them to sleep overnight

anywinewilldo Tue 30-Apr-13 22:13:43

My DD is on amoxicillin at the moment. It specifically says on the instructions NOT to wake the child at night to dose.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 01-May-13 10:31:24

It's amoxicillin here too....hmm, didn't wake him last night, gave at 8pm and then at 8am this morning. He is feeling so much better so must be doing the job. Will speak to the pharmacist today I think. Instructions really should make it more clear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now