Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would step father be eligible for blue badge?

(11 Posts)
spottyparrot Tue 30-Apr-13 15:02:42

I see lots of knowledgeable people talking about blue badges on MN - hopefully someone could help me with whether my step father could get one. He "only" has diabetes and he is also an oap and very overweight. However, for some reason (I don't know) he is unable to walk more than the distance across a supermarket car park before needing a long rest. That was just to indicate distance, he is not capable of walking round a supermarket anyway because it's too far so it would not be for supermarket use. He is capable of walking from the car into the docs surgery if he is driven to the door and similarly he could go into a shop if driven to the door. The other day he walked round a garden centre and needed to sleep for the whole afternoon (don't worry it's my mum driving, not him!). He has not got any more diagnoses so I wondered if he is eligible for a badge or not. My mum does have to use the disabled spaces when she takes him to the docs, otherwise he mught not be able to get him in but she worries as they have no badge. Thanks for any help.

gallifrey Tue 30-Apr-13 15:56:48

just apply for one, they normally ask for supporting evidence from the doctor which I assume in his case wouldn't be a problem. if you look on your county council website it will tell you how to apply.

NanTheWiser Tue 30-Apr-13 18:07:15

My late husband had similar mobility problems, but due to heart disease. I applied for a blue badge, and got one for him, although he never got to use it before he was finally hospitalised. The qualification is fairly stringent, but I'm sure his GP could support his application - you can only apply and see if he gets one.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 30-Apr-13 18:11:45

https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge is an online eligibility checker.

"You’ll answer questions about your disability to check your eligibility for a Blue Badge. If your answers show you’re likely to qualify, you can fill in an application form. Your application is sent to your council for a decision."

tribpot Tue 30-Apr-13 18:14:19

I would apply - it sounds like they need to use the disabled spaces.

magso Tue 30-Apr-13 18:19:18

Its sounds like it is worth applying as it is the distance he can walk without resting that matters more than the diagnosis that matters.

spottyparrot Tue 30-Apr-13 19:36:57

Thanks v much will get this sorted. My mum will be relieved.

lazymum99 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:26:37

He should apply for DLA as well. It's not means tested. Some councils do taxi cards which give very subsidised taxi fares for thosenot able to use public transport.

minmooch Wed 01-May-13 14:47:48

As I understand it you can get a blue badge if you receive DLA but it is based on the level on which you receive it - ie higher rate mobility. Check the website for info.

tribpot Wed 01-May-13 16:28:33

That's true, minmooch, but you can qualify for a blue badge without DLA as well.

eyestightshut Wed 01-May-13 22:36:02

Spottyparrot, I would take him to the GP to discuss his symptoms. Not wishing to scare you, but I would be highly suspicious that he has a problem with his heart. People with diabetes don't necessarily have the typical symptoms of chest pain, but are more likely to present with tiredness and shortness of breath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now