Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

camera up the willy?

(8 Posts)
AugustaProdworthy Tue 30-Apr-13 13:29:53

NOt my words but those of DH who has to have this procedure tomorrow. Does anyone know what it entails and how painful it might be for him? Will he need looking after afterwards? Can he drive?

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 13:50:52

It will be quite painful, I'm afraid. Is it to look into his bladder?
It could be a bit sore when he has a wee, but don't expect he needs physically looking after.
He should have been given a written explanation of the test about the procedure, effects and after effects, if any?

AugustaProdworthy Tue 30-Apr-13 13:53:10

It is to look into bladder as he has blood in his urine. No written details as hospital called him yesterday for appointment tomorrow as they had a cancellation. What could it be?

themonsteratemyspacebar Tue 30-Apr-13 13:55:03

My dad has to have this done every 3 months to check on his bladder.
Yes it does hurt and it is painful when he has a wee for a day or two after.
But he does drive home after the procedure and is fairly tender for the next day or so. He has to make sure that the dog doesnt jump up at him to say hello when he gets back grin

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 16:15:28

There is a good explanatory website on Google called Cystoscopy under NHS Choices. Including a drawing of the male and the route the camera will/can take. Also the reasons for the procedure - possible causes of blood in urine.

Don't know how to do links, sorry.

My sis had it done, but in women the camera does not have such a long journey as with men.

Good luck with the results.

Elibean Tue 30-Apr-13 16:35:31

I had one, and it was utterly painless. Teeny bit of stinging as it went in then nothing really - bit sore afterwards (think slight urgency, mild cystitis) for a few hours.

But yes, has further to travel in a man obviously. That said, my friend's dh had one recently and didn't find it too bad - not nearly as bad as he expected. I think the thought is the worst part wink

Oh - and he drove there and back himself, and didn't need looking after.

Elibean Tue 30-Apr-13 16:36:31

ps I had blood in my urine too. No cause found, and I had MRI of kidneys and bladder as well, just in case - probably a teeny polyp in the urethra. They will probably be looking at various types of prostate problems, and checking bladder generally.

AugustaProdworthy Tue 30-Apr-13 16:43:34

Thank you, much appreciated and will look at the website later with worried DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now