Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

abnormal smears

(9 Posts)
Youcanhumpmyleg Tue 30-Apr-13 12:15:48

ok so i had my first smear (25 years old) came back abnormal so then had a colopscopy then had a loop diathermy done.... anyway phone for my results yesterday and the nurse read out the letter which is going to be sent to me ....
"this is nothing to worry about but we will need to see you in june for a repeat colosopy and possibly another smear"

what the frigg???? so were my margins unclear???? could they not tell? im so confused as she couldnt tell me any actual results sad this is soooo frustrating i really dont want another loop first one was awful !!! anyone on here had multiple tremeants and then been clear????

Kaluki Tue 30-Apr-13 12:20:51

I have had two colposcopys, a cone biopsy and a loop thingy all at different stages of my life since the age of 28 (I'm 42 now). I haven't had an abnormal smear for over 10 years but still have to have the smear tests every 6 months.
I think they are sometimes a little over cautious, which can only be a good thing.

Youcanhumpmyleg Tue 30-Apr-13 12:24:34

thanks Kaluki i just wish theyd tell you what was going of instead of writing to you in riddles lol ! im only mad aswell becuase this year we was going to have another baby .... but im putting it off untill i have a clear smear whenever that will be !

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 12:50:54

I don't know what they do nowadays. I had a biopsy first, 30 years ago, and was instantly diagnosed as CIS < Displasia grade 4> and within a week I was in hospital for what was called a Cone Biopsy then performed with a scalpel.
I was told that I could now try for a baby, as it had all been taken away.

Kaluki Tue 30-Apr-13 20:57:44

I was 28 when I had the first colposcopy and I got pregnant with DS1 just six months later (first attempt after coming off the pill).
Apparently it is quite common to be very fertile after this - the midwife said that it 'cleared out the tubes!!!'

BelaLug0si Tue 30-Apr-13 23:42:27

It will hopefully be clearer when you get the letter, however based on what you've posted what the nurse was probably explaining was about the edges of the tissue removed by the loop.
The abnormal cells are present in patches, and are sometimes present right up to the edge of the tissue removed. This is called CIN (+grade) at an excision margin. Because the loop also diathermies as it takes the tissue out (heats up) it can occasionally distort the tissue and mimic the abnormal areas, OR the tissue orientation is skewed slightly these can then be reasons for saying the margin is unclear.
The good thing about the diathermy is that it 'cooks' (sorry I can't think of a betterway of putting it) the mm or so the loop is in contact with that is left. So even if the excision margin is not clear, the abnormal cells can often have been treated by the diathermy.
I'm guessing they want go have another look in June and check. Frustrating for you but it does mean they're keeping an eye on you.

Please bear in mind that I'm surmising from what you've posted and my experience. Please read the letter you get carefully and ask them more questions to explain further.

Youcanhumpmyleg Wed 01-May-13 08:41:23

After a lot of research and questions asked I'm assuming they can tell 100percent if they are clear and unclear and this is why I'm back in June, I can't wait for this letter defiantly will ask questions if I don't understand it smile thanks for your replies girls, hopefully like the last poster said it might of been burnt off hopefully.....

BelaLug0si Wed 01-May-13 11:18:11

Hmm, it is difficult to explain but sometimes it is not possible to say if the excision margins are clear due to the way the tissue is removed and processed. Distortion or parts of the tissue moving whilst being processed for microscopic assessment can cause this issue. Hopefully the letter will give you more information.

Youcanhumpmyleg Wed 01-May-13 15:07:48

Well that's what I thought.... Maby they don't know there selfs that's why I'm going back in 3 months to see.... End of the day I can't complain their keeping on top of it for me smile never wanted to see a letter so much in my life haha !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now