Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

measles question

(3 Posts)
kid Wed 17-May-06 22:36:19

If a child was confirmed as having measles at the weekend and they are not at school because of this, is it acceptable for them to be at the school at hometime (collecting another child with parent)? I don't really know how long its contagious for and how contagious it actually is so thought I would ask here.

chapsmum Thu 18-May-06 10:05:22

it is contagious for about seven days after the rash appears (till it dies down)
It is spread via respiritory droplets coughing sneezing kissing etc.
Would imagine that if the child were outside and well away from other children there is a minimal risk of infection.
However there is a risk non the less and the child should probably be kept away from pregnant mothers and unimmunised or immunocompramised children (at the very least)

kid Thu 18-May-06 22:59:26

Thanks chapsmum, it seems like the child has recovered and is now back at school. My children have had MMR but I was still concerned about the risks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: