Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What do you have in your first aid kit and in car?

(5 Posts)
tracyk Wed 17-May-06 21:56:47

Just realised - I don't have a first aid kit - just Calpol and Medised.
What are the basics and do you carry duplicates in the boot of the car?
Have 2 yo.

tracyk Thu 18-May-06 09:37:24

controlfreaky Thu 18-May-06 09:41:36

calpol / plasters / antiseptic wipes / wasp and bee sting spray / plastic bags (for travel sickness)/ bottle water (for rinsing wound etc)/ tweezers
err think that's it.

Skribble Thu 18-May-06 09:46:37

I did have a kit in the car ages ago but it seems to have vanished, it is just a standard kit you can buy. I treated myself to one from lidls. It has everything in a plastic pockets sort of thing that lifts out, so you can see everything and get to it quickly.

I would say gloves are a must for the car one but not so much for at home. If you are trained you might want a mask for resus. The kits have it all such as a variety of dressings on bandages, swabs, triangles etc. BTW cotton wool is not normaly included or recommended, possibly due to it being to fluffy and making more of a mess of any wound.

In the house I have a medicine box, a first aid box and a box with emrgency stuff like big swabs, wash and bandage. Its supposed to make it easier to crab TBH I would just grab the whole lot.

One thing I did from early on was have a small kit in my bag for going out with the kids. Easy to treat kids cuts and grazes etc when out shopping rather than upsetting the kids trying to find a loo or get a shops first aid kit when all you need is a plaster.

I got one of the plastic boxes the plasters come in and filled it with kids plasters with pics on, antiseptic wipes, mini tube of magic cream (antiseptic), plasters and a couple of calpol sachets. Takes up very little room and has been used a lot on dys out and at the shops.

Skribble Thu 18-May-06 09:48:22

Oh yes plastic bags, baby wipes, loo roll and a mini antiseptic cleaning spray essential for travel sick kids.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: