Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Blood Groups - do you know yours/your family's?

(56 Posts)
Jodee Wed 17-May-06 20:19:57

I was trying to find a record of ds's blood group recently and couldn't find it - it isn't noted in the red book. I know mine, I'm O Rh Neg, this is because I have given blood.

Would my GP have ds's blood group on record, I presume they must have found this out at birth?

And DH doesn't know his - he is reluctant to give blood, despite my twisting his arm, could he ask for a blood test from his gp just to find out this info?

i just feel it is knowledge that we as a family should know.

PinkKerPlink Wed 17-May-06 20:20:32

do you kno, i have no idea
i am a+ i think

NannyL Wed 17-May-06 20:24:03

I am A+

My mum is A+
My Dad is 0
My sister is A+

My grandmother is A-
My grandad is AB-

thats all i know! (i dont thave any kids of my own yet!)

expatinscotland Wed 17-May-06 20:26:19

I'm O+. My mum is A+. My dad is O+.

No idea what DH or the kids are.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 17-May-06 20:28:01

I am A+

DP is O

Kids must be O (dont children take on the fathers blood group?)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 20:28:38

I am O+. DH is O+. The kids had better be O+, or some questions will be asked. (Well, O anyway, I'm not sure how the rhesus thing is inherited.)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 20:29:18

Um, no, VVV. Your kids could be O or A.

SueW Wed 17-May-06 20:30:16

Jodee, your DS's is almost certainly in his birth records as he will have been tested at birth to check if you need anti-d injection as you are O-

You could contact the hospital patient records department and ask to view his records (I think that's free) or have a copy (charge up to £50).

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 17-May-06 20:47:42

OOoh thanks NQC....will take great pleasure in telling my dad he is wrong about that

GarfieldsGirl Wed 17-May-06 21:05:59

I'm O-, ds's are both A+, so I hope DP is also A+!

Jodee - gpshould def have it in ds's notes

poppiesinaline Wed 17-May-06 21:08:20

Another O- here, DH is O+

dont know the kids but I know they are all +

Blandmum Wed 17-May-06 21:09:06

O rh pos, dh O rh pos

Both my kids have to be O rh pos

NQC, Rhesus positive is dominant over negative

poppiesinaline Wed 17-May-06 21:09:39

or am I A- not sure actually!! whats the blood type that you can donate to everyone but can only receive your own blood type? Well, Im that one!!

Blandmum Wed 17-May-06 21:14:28

O Rh negative is the universal donor and you can only have O resus negative blood if you need a transfusion

milward Wed 17-May-06 21:18:17

No one here a B blood group?

puff Wed 17-May-06 21:26:13

I'm B positive

milward Wed 17-May-06 21:26:50

same as my kids (I think)!

sottovoce Wed 17-May-06 21:27:04

I am A-, DH is O- and DD O-. No more nasty rh injections in next pg!

Linnet Wed 17-May-06 21:27:20

I know mine since I've had two babies. I know that both my dd's are the same as me which is O-

Dh is also O- we found his out because we got him tested at the nurse because of the RH Negative procedures during pregnancy. They had changed the procedure by the time I had my second dd and they wanted to give me Anti-d at 28 and 34 weeks and I said I didn't need it because dh was also O- but the hospital wouldn't take our word for it so we got him tested.

We were told that Gp's don't test you just because you want to know there has to be a reason and this was our reason and they ok'd it. I don't think they make a note of a babies blood group at birth in their books. They do check the babies blood but I don't think any record is held. It's definitely not in the records held at your GP becuase I once asked years before I had children just out of nosiness and then of course dh asked but they couldn't tell him he had to get tested to find out.

Interestingly my mum was also O- as is my brother. And Dh's mum and brother are also both O-.

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 21:29:02

Message withdrawn

LeahE Wed 17-May-06 21:30:08

I'm A+ (on blood donor register) -- don't know about DH or DS. One of my parents is O+ and one is A+ but I can't remember which is which, so presumably I have an AO genotype and DS could be A, O or even AB depending on what DH is.

milward Wed 17-May-06 21:30:34

pruni - I'm O & dh is AB - I think kids are B!

alexsmum Wed 17-May-06 21:38:56

i'm a+ and dh is ab+
despite the fact that both my boys have had tons of blood tests we haave never been told their blood group.weird isn't it?

Mercy Wed 17-May-06 21:40:26

Haven't read all the thread but may I ask a dumb question? Why is it important unless you have a rare blood group?

Socci Wed 17-May-06 21:40:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: