Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Child with bruised coccyx. School or no school?

(7 Posts)
marykat2004 Sun 28-Apr-13 12:27:10

Hi I just searched for coccyx and found only threads about adults injuring themselves...

DD (age 8) fell on her rollerblades yesterday. She was upset and crying, but was able to walk. She couldn't bend over or bend her knees much.

We had to travel back on the train (we were out of town when she fell). Stopped at the chemist who gave us children's neurofen and said to rest.

I don't know what to do about school tomorrow. DD is resting today. She is sore but not crying out in agony. It doesn't seem they give xrays any for this.

Any advice? Surely this is a common thing for children? I remember doing it as a child but I don't think I stayed home from school with it. I was older, though, over 10 or even a teeenager.

MousyMouse Sun 28-Apr-13 12:30:58

send her to school with a cushion to sit on.
painkillers in the morning and a sachet of children's painkillers to take with her lunch.
and don't forget to take a note for the teachers.

whoopwhoopbib Sun 28-Apr-13 21:29:59

I did this when I was at first school and remember being allowed to sit on a soft chair rather than the carpet. My mum was quite mean about giving us time off which is why I was there.

ChasingStaplers Sun 28-Apr-13 21:33:14

Definitely send the cushion if she goes in. If you have a doughnut one, they're best.
I broke my coccyx last November and still can't sit down for a long time/on hard seats without it hurting for ages afterwards.

Pandsbear Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:49

Oooh poor girl I did this when I was about 8 (fell over in the playground - still remember it as it was so painful) and I had to sit on the edge of a seat in my classroom. I didn't have any time off school but I did get a (rare) trip to the drs and probably some kind of painkiller for the first day

ChasingStaplers Tue 30-Apr-13 11:38:29

Hope your DD was ok at school, Marykat!

marykat2004 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:51:22

Thank you for your replies.

We went to the GP who said to send her in with some ibuprofen. Today is her first day back. I will see how she is when I pick her up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now