Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recall breast screening

(7 Posts)
lovesherdogstoomuch Sun 28-Apr-13 09:32:07

feeling a bit sick as have been recalled for breast screening. i didn't make the original screening appt, the NHS are targetting our gp practice (am am 49) so i went along for the appt anyway. my boobs feel fine. no puckering, no lumps, nothing. bit of pain sometimes in my right one, which i have put down to period. Got the 2nd letter this Fri, to come in next week, but we're away. Have rung them and rearranged. DH really needs this hol so i've not told him as he'll worry. Packing suitcase expecting am gonna die any minute. Anyone got advice to keep me calm?!

digerd Sun 28-Apr-13 09:38:58

Yes.
My DD had her first last Dec, and was recalled to the breast clinic.
The mammogram showed a cluster of calcified cells, which could turn cancerous or not. She had 5 biopsies, and all were benign and not the type that could turn malignant.
It was scary, but they are being very vigilant and careful to catch anything in the very early stages before becoming malignant.
She also had no lumps.

LIZS Sun 28-Apr-13 09:39:34

Only a small percentage of recalls turn out to be anything sinister. Even then it is very treatable in early stages. Please try not to be too anxious.

digerd Sun 28-Apr-13 09:41:10

ps
The chances of these types are 80% benign, 20% possibly could turn malignant.

lovesherdogstoomuch Sun 28-Apr-13 19:27:09

thanks so much Digerd and LIZS. i know they're being vigilant thank God. actually am having a big glass of wine now and feeling a bit better. Digerd i send your Dd best wishes and thank you LIZS for your msg. wine

DazR Sun 28-Apr-13 19:52:58

3 years ago I had the same scare. It was my first mammogram and I had just turned 50. I was recalled, had repeat mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies. All was found to be ok - there were no lumps just some strange tissue. Just had my next mammogram and was sure I would be recalled again but all ok! I know how you are feeling. It is no use worrying ahead of time. When you go to your appointment take a friend or hubby with you to keep yourself calm. Try to enjoy your holiday and keep positive! X

lovesherdogstoomuch Sun 28-Apr-13 21:10:03

thank you DazR. that really helps. bizarrely my boobs feel sore tonight. i think it's hysteria. thanks so much for your helpful response. we'll be in Morocco this time tomorro night. not gonna think about it until i get home. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now