Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bump to the head - how long until the headache goes?

(9 Posts)
rubyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 03:50:35

Fell and banged the back of my head a couple if days ago

Taken it very easy yesterday - dreadful headache and not just where I hit my head

Been dosed up with painkillers - have a slightly hungover feeling too

Went to A & E when it happened and they seemed sure that I had no fracture - have a pretty big bump and mild whiplash

TIA for any advice

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 04:06:05

say you hit your head on the Left side, fast & sharp, your brain gets shifted quickly and "bounces off" the opposite "wall".

as a result you will be very likely to get headaches on the RIGHT side of your head!
That happened to me in a minor car accident, awful headaches lasted for weeks, on & off. (I'm prone to them anyway, migraines too)

You should as for a second opinion, wonder if you could have a scan to check that you don't have any swelling, bleeding etc

rubyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 04:08:14

Thanks for the quick response amazing

The front of my head is bad which would make sense with what you've said

I may call my GP OOH service and see what they advise if I don't feel better

lougle Sun 28-Apr-13 08:06:29

Do you have any other symptoms?

I think you should go to A&E, actually, and I don't normally say that. You sound concussed at the least and you could have a small bleed or bruise in the brain.

A scan would clear up whether there is a serious cause for your headache.

lougle Sun 28-Apr-13 08:07:10

I used to work in neurosurgery, btw, so my view will be slanted by that.

digerd Sun 28-Apr-13 09:32:31

Bangs on the head, especially from falling onto concrete ground, usually have a scan of the brain to see if any swelling on the brain which can be fatal. Did A&E give you a brain scan?

I fell indoors - collapsed unconscious- and think I banged my left side and back of head on a ceramic urn. When I came to I was paralysed for several seconds, but managed very weakly to get up, still with no movement in my hands/fingers. Then konked out again - each time my head felt 'all shook up', but no pain.
The bruising came out the next day. I managed to get to bed and slept for 8 hours then felt better, so didn't go to A&E.
That was 8 years ago, and I'm still here.

I did not have headaches, so think you should have further investigations. Good luck

MyPlugInBaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:42:38

I also thinking would be worth seeking medical advice again today. Hope it clears up soon.

rubyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 12:40:01

thanks all

i called the 111 service and then went back to A & E

have got concussion - home at the moment with painkillers and am resting

still got a bad headache but hoping be better soon

thanks for the advice smile

MyLittleFinger Mon 29-Apr-13 14:01:12

I had concussion for 12 weeks in varying degrees, with a constant pain on the right hand side of my head.
I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now