Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergies post baby

(11 Posts)
MyPlugInBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 20:31:05

DS is now 6 months old (second child) and ever since he was born I have been plagued with skin rashes - usually hives. When he was around a week old both my legs and abdomen and back were literally covered in hives for about a week, I've since wondered if this was PUPP. A few months ago I took some ibuprofen before bed and in the night I woke up with swollen lips and a second dose the next day left my mouth and eyes pretty swollen. I quite often get really large hives on my breasts and tummy - usually in the evening. I absolutely cannot pinpoint any cause or sensitivity. It definitely isn't washing powder. Nothing is consistent.

Yesterday I started getting these large hives quite bad (I've had either a virus or a migraine last couple days) and this evening my abdomen and breasts, thighs and groin are literally covered. They vary in size from small to the size of a satsuma.

Anyone experienced similar? Could this still be PUPP or is it too late? Or any ideas? Feel a bit silly going to GP with it, but it's making me miserable, can't take anything as I am breastfeeding.

PowerPants Sun 28-Apr-13 00:45:08

First of all lots of people can be sensitive to ibruprofen so avoid that and see if it helps.

I would get yourself to the doc and be allergy tested. Urticaria can be caused by hormonal upset.

Fluffy101 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:22:52

After my pregnancy I became allergic to penicillin and all dairy products, all of which I was fine with before , very odd.

MyPlugInBaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:23:09

Since I wrote that last night it became horrendous - my whole body was covered with huge itchy hives, even down into my knicker area.

Think I will go docs. Do you know if they will allergy test for something like this? I keep thinking it might be hormonal too. I just can't see any link if it is an allergy. I am already avoiding ibuprofen, which will be a nightmare when my periods return.

porolli Sun 28-Apr-13 09:26:13

I've had this after 2 of my 3 babies. Went on for quite a few weeks each time. I'm very used to sensitive skin and eczema but this was something different. Huge hives all over and I would wake up either already covered or see it emerging - literally in front of my eyes. One night I rushed to a&e as I felt my airways were shutting (I was actually ok and drove home without checking in). It coincided in retrospect with changes in the amount I was breastfeeding. Eventually it just went away! (Only happened with my sons, not my daughter which is probably coincidental!)

MyPlugInBaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:35:10

Oh porolli that's really interesting, this didn't happen at all with my daughter. I've not come across anyone who's has similar before. Have to say it was pretty alarming when my mouth swelled up after the ibuprofen which is why I haven't touched it since.

I've heard that allergies can emerge after pregnancy but I did wonder if there was a breastfeeding link too.

MyPlugInBaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:36:45

Fluffy did your allergies go away or have they stayed with you?

porolli Sun 28-Apr-13 09:42:31

Oh that reminds me, I became allergic to latex after number one and that hasn't gone away

MyPlugInBaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:46:41

See like you porolli I have always had pretty sensitive skin, although no eczema. When I was a teenager I used to get hives every time I showered - even if I only went under the water! Never this bad though.

porolli Sun 28-Apr-13 09:52:35

I was told it was 'chronic urticaria' and as I say it did last several weeks both times and then just stopped for no apparent reason. And no, I didn't change my washing powder (as a long term rashy person, I've always hated that question!)

Fluffy101 Sun 28-Apr-13 10:51:28

Mypluginbaby .... No 6 years later I still have allergies. Pregnancy obviously didn't suit me lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now