Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just having a rant, Day 10 of period and in agony.

(8 Posts)
Marne Sat 27-Apr-13 09:56:49

sad

My periods seem to get longer each month, they start of very light for 5 days and then 2 days of very heavy bleeding followed by a few more days of spotting, very painful (tummy and back).

Have been to the gp so many time and told its nothing.

I'm going to go back on monday and ask to try the pill again of injection as i have had enough of spending most of the month in pain and bleeding sad.

EllieArroway Sat 27-Apr-13 10:27:34

Have you raised with the doctor the possibility of ovarian cysts? I think if this is ongoing then it's definitely time for them to start investigating. No one should have to live with pain like that in this day and age.

I take it over the counter painkillers aren't making much difference? The least he can do is prescribe you something stronger.

My periods have started to go berserk recently, but no pain thank goodness. You have my sympathy.

DeepRedBetty Sat 27-Apr-13 10:29:48

Is it always the same GP who is so dismissive? Might be time for a second opinion. It is not normal for one's period to trash one's life for more than a few days each month.

Marne Sat 27-Apr-13 11:31:56

I have seen 2 GP's but a new one has just started so will ask to see them. I have had heavy painful periods sinse having the dd's, i'm up to date with smear tests, have had other swabs taken and have tried verious tablets, i am already on strong pain killers for my back so cant have anything else.

I will see what they say on monday.

tabbycat15 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:15:12

I'd say definitely see another Dr & get a gynae referral. It could be fibroids, Polyps? Endo?
Best to get checked out. You could be anaemic too. You shouldn't have to put up with it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 27-Apr-13 20:35:41

Marne,]

Its all too easy to be fobbed off by GPs who are after all generalists and often have little or no up to date knowledge about such issues. They are just wrong in saying that this is nothing.

If they continue to remain unhelpful I'd change GP practice.

My initial thought upon reading your post was endometriosis particularly if the pain is cyclical in nature.

Would insist to them in the strongest possible terms that you are referred to a gynae for further evaluation.

In the meantime I would suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary as this will give the gynae both clues and information.

Do not be fobbed off. Pill or injection is just a short term measure; you need to find out exactly WHY you are having these symptoms.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 27-Apr-13 20:43:58

Marne

BTW swabs, internal ultrasound scans and blood tests if done will not detect endometriosis if it is there. It is usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

Marne Thu 09-May-13 21:51:13

Update, I saw a different gp ( I think he was a temp) and I have been referred for a scan and the woman's clinic, I have also been given some tablets to halt my period for a while ( until I get back from my holiday and have had the scan ), I still don't know what's wrong but at least they are doing something. I continued to bleed for another 5 days even with the tablets and I still keep spotting. Today I feel like I have pmt and have been horrid to everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now