Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

sesamoidectomy ...

(10 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Fri 26-Apr-13 21:34:16

Posted this in children's health, but a kind mner suggested it might be better here.

Has anyone had one??
Cutting a long story short, dd is 13 and specialist has recommended the removal of the sesamoid bone in her foot. The bone is split in two, we're not sure if this is from a fracture or was formed this way. Specialist has said both during our time seeing him We've had a second opinion but this specialist just really had conflicting opinions to the first specialist. It seems such a big decision and we're at a loss
Please help!

Sparklingbrook Sat 27-Apr-13 13:42:35

I'm sorry I have no idea. But bumping for you.

Delayingtactic Sat 27-Apr-13 13:53:45

Which sesamoid is it? How much problems does it give your daughter? I have to say I've never seen anyone have either a thumb or thumb sesamoid removed. How did you come to be referred to this specialist?

frazzledbutcalm Sun 28-Apr-13 09:01:04

Thanks for bumping sparkling.
delay it's the one in her foot, in the ball joint. It's split in 2 (by fracture or formed that way we don't know). For a lot of the time it feels like she's walking on a sharp stone. It hurts if she walks a reasonable distance, sometimes even just a short distance. She can get sudden bursts of sharp pain for no reason at all. This happens very frequently. The only info I can find on google are American blogs from those who have had the sesamoidectomy. Given the difference from America to the UK I'm not really finding any evidence to help my decision yet ...

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Apr-13 09:04:55

You are welcome frazzled sounds very painful. I have 13 year old DS and things are challenging enough so really feel for her and you. x

Finallygotaroundtoit Sun 28-Apr-13 09:07:20

If the specialist has recommended removal why are you unsure?

Can you ask for another appointment and write your questions down before you need to make a decision?

frazzledbutcalm Sun 28-Apr-13 09:09:59

Thanks sparkling.. your words of comfort are gratefully received thanks
Our second opinion specialist just said she has to learn to live with the pain, it's life hmm
I'm going to get referred back to our original specialist and talk further. I lost faith in him though as he seemed to change his mind many times about dd problem. First he did nothing, then said it was a fracture through the growth plate, then said no fracture, then said it formed this way. On each visit he never seemed to get his facts quite right about dd history sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Apr-13 09:13:09

That's just to frustrating. And all the time she is dealing with it. Is she able to attend school?

Delayingtactic Sun 28-Apr-13 10:22:43

It's difficult. I looked it up and can't find any reliable information about it. A literature search wasn't especially helpful and most of it is based on adult athletes. I am always hesitant about American popular procedures which isn't backed by evidence as they err on operating on alot because of payments.

You (and your DD) need to weigh up whether the risk of complications are outweighed by the chance that this may improve her pain. The other thing to remember is that it may not work at all, or that the pain may settle on its own without an operation. Only the two of you can answer that question really.

frazzledbutcalm Sun 28-Apr-13 21:58:41

finally .. our specialist just seems to say different things each time we go. That's why we got a second opinion. But that didn't help as he had the opposite opinion to the first specialist.

sparkling .. she goes to school and does normal things, she's just in pain a lot. She has a very high pain threshold - she had appendicitis that by the time was diagnosed (1 week later) had burst, was infected and had an abscess. Another 3 hours and she would have died.

delay .. that's the only information I can find also. And I'm very dubious about listening to American findings. We were told the operation would not make things worse, would probably make things better but may also not work at all. I was just hoping that mumsnetters would have more info/experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now