Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent advice - pupil dilation

(11 Posts)
Bimbledorf Fri 26-Apr-13 11:07:10

I have to have a pupil dilation as have developed new floaters in last pregnancy about 7 months ago, got some originally 9 years ago in first pregnancy. Went to opticians yest and he said I need a pupil dilation otherwise he can't discharge me and let me have my new glasses prescription. Fair enough but I drove there so couldn't have it done then and there. Anyway it is booked in for this aft but I am on a deadline for work and I assume I will be unable to use computer for a while. Please does anyone have any experience of one? How long before I can use my eyes properly again. The though also terrifies me for some reason!! Is it really horrible?! <wimp>

grumpygov Fri 26-Apr-13 11:09:39

I have had it ages ago, I suspect you will be struggling for most of the rest of the day TBH.

Bimbledorf Fri 26-Apr-13 11:14:23

Oh no that's what I thought! I just wonder whether I can rebook for next week when free of the computer? I assume that as I have had new ones for 7 months at least and old ones for 9 years that I can wait for a few more days?

QueenOfCats Fri 26-Apr-13 11:19:57

They will probably use tropicamide to dilate the pupils.

We advise that your vision may be blurred for up to 6 hours after that are instilled, but this varies.

As you know you won't be able to drive and you will probably struggle to read fine print ie newspaper print.

Take some sunglasses!

Bimbledorf Fri 26-Apr-13 11:35:33

Thanks

carrielou2007 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:23:23

If it is both eyes then you definitely won't be able to drive or see fine detail for a few hours. I have to have my left eye checked (detatched retina surgery and awaiting more surgery after baby arrives). However as the hospital is 30 miles away I have to drive so ask they only do the affected eye. They ova carefully check the other eye just don't dilate.

Hopefully you have already cancelled your appt by now wink

Footle Fri 26-Apr-13 14:05:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bimbledorf Fri 26-Apr-13 17:09:01

Thanks for the advice. I decided not to have it today but will go for it soon enough.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Apr-13 18:38:31

It's not in the slightest bit horrible. One version can sting for a couple of seconds, then your eyes gently go a bit blurry. You need sunglasses for going outside. I usually return to work straight away and if I'm using the computer just enlarge everything on the screen.

dopeysheep Fri 26-Apr-13 18:48:28

Take sunglasses and a hat. Top tip.

BCBG Fri 26-Apr-13 18:51:45

Veyr straightforward, have had it a lot recently - if you ask they can put a drop in that will speed up the reversal process....sunglasses will help but driving is not really an option for a couple of hours. You can't feel it and you will only be aware of the extra light afterwards (and if you look at people they tend to think you're tripping but that's a WHOLE other story! grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now