Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of General Itchiness Issues Months After a C-Section?

(11 Posts)
MyShoofly Thu 25-Apr-13 21:17:44

Had a section 2.5 months ago. Had allergic reaction to bandages but cleared up with benydril and prescription cream. 3 weeks or so post section I was dragged out of sleep by incredibly itchy hands (palms, tops, fingers etc) then itchy feet joined the problem. This last for 2 weeks to the point where I had to put ice packs on them daily. Then itchy scalp started - back of my neck and head, warm ears. I've tried every kind of specialty shampoo - nothing helps. It all waxes and wanes.

The hand and foot thing has mostly subsided but sometimes the top of my hands, my wrists and forearms start up again. My scalp issues continue and its maddening. I feel just a general sense of discomfort in my skin like something is just not quite right.

I can't find anything on google about this being an issue after a section.

My Dr. thinks its bizarre and has no explination. I'm waiting for bloodwork to come back. Sitting here scratching my head (literally) wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Leverette Thu 25-Apr-13 21:47:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MyShoofly Fri 26-Apr-13 00:00:27

Well thanks for trying Leverette.....not allergic to babies specifically I don't think, though hard work is another matter wink

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 26-Apr-13 00:01:29

Yes. Had it with all three. It's your nerves rejoining where they were cut smile

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 26-Apr-13 00:01:57

Oh sorry thought it was tummy blush

MyShoofly Fri 26-Apr-13 00:21:56

That is okay Penelopee...that is the only kind of itchiness that is listed on the internet too - you'd think my scar would itch but it doesn't...its about near the only thing that doesn't confused

HappyAsASandboy Fri 26-Apr-13 00:34:21

You're not still (or recently stopped) taking codeine are you? I was infernally itchy for ages, and it was the codeine that I kept taking for too long as I had backache.

Any opiate based drug can cause severe itching.

MyShoofly Fri 26-Apr-13 01:00:07

No Happy I ran out of my pain prescription about 3 weeks after I got home. I do wonder if this could still somehow be a long term effect of the epimorph...?

Footle Fri 26-Apr-13 08:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleAbruzzenBear Fri 26-Apr-13 08:05:52

I was itchy for a while after mine, but 9 months on and ok now.

TheUnicornsGoHawaiian Fri 26-Apr-13 08:27:49

I don't have an itchy c section scar but if I do exercise it burns and feels like an ice burn. Really strange. I had my section 3 and a half years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now