Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sprained ankle, torn ligaments and still off work :(

(6 Posts)
Movingforward123 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:56:53

I sprained my ankle two months ago, they said I have torn ligaments! I couldn't walk for 5 whole weeks shock

I then started walking and I thought I would be ok to return to work now even though my ankle was still abit sore.

I work in retail and did a four hour shift and after my ankle was very badly swollen! That was Monday and it's still swollen and painful now! So I've been signed off work for another two weeks.

I'm just wondering how long other people have been off work with similar things?

I feel like my manager may think I'm lying or skiving off work!

clam Thu 25-Apr-13 20:08:23

I think it depends on your work. I broke my leg back in January and the physio told me that around 3 months off work was to be expected. BUT, if you have any sort of physical job that could make it harder to return. I'm a teacher, and although many people were surprised, I did manage to get in (on limited duties and then a phased return) after about 2 months, but only because I had adult support in class and a reliable crew of people willing to give me lifts to and from school.

But if I worked in, say London, and needed to walk to the station and commute in and deal with the tube and so on, I don't think I'd even be back now, nearly 4 months on - although I'm not sure whether not being able to travel there would count as a reason to be off work.

The bottom line is, if you've been signed off work by your GP, then you're not fit to be there, so they're going to have to suck it up.

Movingforward123 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:36:53

Well some people say a sprain can be worse then a break and can take longer to heal, but I feel like they may think I'm messing about as its just a sprain and not a break!

And I think i feel like because I can walk I should be back at work, but obviously if one four hour shift has caused this pain then I'm just not ready hmm

clam Thu 25-Apr-13 21:21:33

I think it depends on the type of sprain and the severity of the break. I've been staggered by the impact of this (particularly bad) break, BUT I've been assured that I will (or should) make a complete recovery. Eventually. Whereas dh, who's had numerous twists/sprains/damaged ligaments and so forth, is probably always going to be limping/wincing in pain at something or other.

I agree that it sounds as if you've overdone it. And for the sake of your long-term recovery, you need to take it carefully. No one's going to be handing out medals for your bravery at hobbling in to work. Put yourself first.

Movingforward123 Fri 26-Apr-13 07:25:50

Oh dear, u hope I don't end up like your dh!

Are you having physio for your leg?

clam Fri 26-Apr-13 16:35:47

Yes - weekly, through the hospital. Quite good, actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now