Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What are the symptoms of viral meningitis?

(9 Posts)
Caligula Wed 17-May-06 07:15:57

DS's school has had a few cases and he's woken up ill. I know it's not serious like bacterial meningitis, but would like to know if he has got it. Anyone out there know?

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 07:19:15

Message withdrawn

PinkKerPlink Wed 17-May-06 07:22:42

some info here I think it can be fairly common at this time of the year. I feel a little paranoid about my dd as I know it is around and now she is all fluey!

HTH

Caligula Wed 17-May-06 08:09:50

Thanks for these links. I don't think he's got it then - his symptoms are just a very high temp and lethargy. Doesn't look like viral men.

PinkKerPlink Wed 17-May-06 08:10:41

my dd is the same caligula, I think it must be just a bug

SaintGeorge Wed 17-May-06 10:16:08

I've had viral meningitis.

The main thing for me was the headache. I had vague cold like symptoms for a couple of days, then one night I was hit out of the blue by the most horrendous headache - I felt like someone had smashed me in the face with a brick.

I collapsed with the pain and couldn't move for hours (it was night, DH was in bed).

The next day the pain was still really bad and apparently I started to slur my speech. DH though I had had a minor stroke. At A&E they gave me a morphine injection, which was wonderful. I had to have a lumbar puncture for diagnosis and then spent a week in hospital on IV anti-virals and fluids.

Caligula Wed 17-May-06 11:31:34

Blimey.

That sounds bad. Did you have a high temperature?

SaintGeorge Wed 17-May-06 11:39:04

Not at first, but apparently it was quite high when I was in A&E. I don't remember a lot between waking that morning up until they gave me the morphine.

Two births without drugs and I'm telling you - that headache was a lot more painful!

KateF Wed 17-May-06 11:44:08

Same experience as StGeorge. I've never had a headache so bad, felt sick, stiff neck, raging temperature, blood pressure so low I passed out if I sat up. Definately not funny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: