Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is anyone else generally three degrees colder than most people?

(25 Posts)
Pruni Wed 17-May-06 07:07:52

Message withdrawn

roisin Wed 17-May-06 07:33:28

Me too. I always have several layers on when everyone else is running round in T-shirts

FrannytheGazelle Wed 17-May-06 07:36:42

Pruni

<sternly>

this is just another excuse to talk about your vest, isn't it?

PinkKerPlink Wed 17-May-06 07:42:27

yes me

where did you get your vest from?

suzywong Wed 17-May-06 07:43:43

you weirdo
I am the opposite
thank the Lord there is no such thing as central heating over here, it's the devil's work.

Being cold all the time can be a symptom of under active thyroid, dont you know

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 07:48:02

I am generally too warm. Well, my hands are freezing, but I hate feeling warm, so am always wildly underdressed by UK standards.

One thing that keeps me warm is lots of cardio exercise, particularly out in the cold.

(Weight also really makes a difference, I've dropped maybe a stone since having kids, and I do feel a lot colder these days.)

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 14:47:15

Message withdrawn

tamum Wed 17-May-06 14:49:51

I don't suppose things are going to improve when you move back up north then, eh? (am enjoying the description of your vest collection though, and mentally running through which knitting patterns you might like to borrow....)

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 17-May-06 14:50:40

I am freezing my ass off atm [brrrrrrr]

Auntymandy Wed 17-May-06 14:51:40

my kids temps are always low! but they arent cold!
I am freezing just now, dont know why!

motherinferior Wed 17-May-06 14:53:37

Oh yes, me too. I spend the entire winter in two to three pairs of socks - plus woolly insoles in my shoes - and at least one if not two layers of vestitude.

And I wear socks in bed for an embarrassingly large proportion of the year

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 15:05:52

Pruni, I'm not sure being warm is any better than always being cold. I cannot cannot cannot stand being too hot. I get really irritable and cranky. At least if you're cold, you can put on more clothes, what can you do when you're too hot?

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 15:20:08

Message withdrawn

robinpud Wed 17-May-06 15:21:43

I am crap at regulating my temp and am usually too cold. I have been wering gloves to school this week whilst everyone else is in T shirts, but do have an auto immune condition most probably so at least I know why. Am looking forward to 12 months in Sydney where I can moan about being too hot!!!

yomellamoHelly Wed 17-May-06 15:38:35

Am the same - but have low blood pressure which accounts for it I think. Tend to function better for an hour of being toasty in bed in the middle of each day and in the evening I have a really heavy blanket to snuggle under on the sofa. Dh has gotten used to me wearing 2 or 3 coats when out. Always used to hate caravanning as a kid 'cause I'd get so cold since all the bedding was put away first thing and I wasn't allowed to wear a coat "indoors".

Polgara2 Wed 17-May-06 15:47:21

Yep I'm always colder than everyone else, our central heating switch should be broken really, I switch it on, dh switches it off ad infinitum!!

tamum Wed 17-May-06 15:52:09

Tiso is an excellent idea. Funnily enough, I was always like you before having children, but my body thermostat seemed to adjust itself when I was pregnant and then stayed like that. When I lived in London I always wore thermal vests and woolly tights under my jeans, even though I was travelling by tube. I am much more hardy these days (just as blooming well, too).

motherinferior Wed 17-May-06 22:07:39

Pruni, having just looked at the Tiso website can I suggest that you might also consider, for about the same money or slightly more, getting long-sleeved silk knit Jigsaw tops. They are quite wonderful in many ways - you can wear them on their own, obviously, in fact I think I was wearing one when we met up - they are much much nicer to look at than 'ordinary' thermals, feel good on the skin, are - crucially - very warm as a base layer and you can also, in moments of extreme need, put a silk strappy vest underneath.

I work at keeping warm, me.

Pruni Fri 19-May-06 17:40:19

Message withdrawn

queenrollo Fri 19-May-06 18:26:08

i'm always cold too.....need several layers on in the house and several more if i venture past the front door.......then i get in a shop and nearly sweat myself into dehydration.

went to my doctor about it who was totally unsympathetic.

SaintGeorge Fri 19-May-06 18:27:42

hijack - queenrollo, can you email me please. I have tried to mail you but they keep bouncing.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 19-May-06 18:40:53

I'm always cold too. As I sit here I've got one blue hand (I'm sitting on the other one). I wear an obscene amount of clothing to go to bed in - not sure how I ended up with 3 kids

Dd's temp is always waaayyy below normal, yet she doesn't feel the cold at all, when she's got a raging fever the thermometer is barely over 37.

geekgrrl Fri 19-May-06 18:42:25

me too - I wore my woolen coat indoors all winter whilst dh wasn't home (he thinks it's weird).
My body temp is usually quite low too, 34 - 35 ish.
Very annoying and unpleasant, isn't it? Wish I could go and live somewhere hot.

eemie Fri 19-May-06 18:53:31

I'm the same, although Scottish. Think my thermostat must have been set in Israel where we lived till I was five. The heatwave of 1976 was a revelation to me - when the temperature got to 93 Fahrenheit I suddenly realised I felt better than I could ever remember. DH used to be a wimp about my cold feet in bed - whimpering pitifully as I warmed them on him. He's resigned now.

mousiemousie Fri 19-May-06 18:57:50

When I am heavier I don't feel the cold so much - and I think this is often true - the skinny minnies feel more cold.

I have heard that your temp goes up when you have your period - have you noticed that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: