Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Insect bite - should I be concerned?

(30 Posts)
SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 07:00:23

On Tuesday evening, I was, I presume, bitten by an insect of some kind on my thigh. When I went to bed, I noticed a red pin-prick and thought nothing of it.

By morning, the pin prick had grown to a red area about half an inch wide by an inch long, with a pinkish circle all round. The red area is not tender and does not itch, but the whole leg aches a little. By yesterday evening, the red area was about an inch in diameter and the pink area all round was probably five inches in diameter and it's about the same this morning.

I've put some antihistamine cream on it, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Should I be concerned and seek medical attention or is it all perfectly straightforward and will heal in its own time (don't want to waste medical professionals' time if it's nothing to worry about!).

Thanks!

mrsslc Thu 25-Apr-13 07:12:27

Do you have a pharmacy nearby that you could pop into? They could suggest a different cream or would tell you if it was worth a drs trip? Hope you better soon :-)

Selks Thu 25-Apr-13 07:20:08

Go to GP and get it checked out. It sounds either infected or an allergic reaction (or both).

Rosa Thu 25-Apr-13 07:22:43

If its hot / hard round the bite then an infection sounds likely ( am not an expert just had lots of bites ) agree go to pharmacy and then take it from there ..sounds as you need something stronger

AllOverIt Thu 25-Apr-13 07:25:57

Emergency appt with GP. Friend had exact same thing last year ended up in hospital with cellulitis. Hopefully it's not this, but best to be sure.

ajandjjmum Thu 25-Apr-13 07:27:29

Same happened to DH last week - he ignored it for a few days, and it had developed into cellulitis by the time he got to the gp, and he needed antibiotics. Please don't just ignore!

RustyBear Thu 25-Apr-13 07:28:07

I would get it checked - DH was bitten by an insect a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it at first. He was away from home for a week and didn't do anything except put a bit of cream on it. He ended up with an abscess the size of a fried egg yolk, and much the same colour. When he did go to the doctor, he was sent straight to the hospital, was put on IV antibiotics and had to have it drained under GA. It left a hole about 5cm long by 2 high and about 1cm deep, which had to be cleaned out and packed with dressings every day.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 07:54:59

Ouch, Rustybear, that sounds nasty!

OK, I've looked at it more closely this morning and if anything I think it looks slightly better. The centre is more dark pink than angry red. It's not hot or hard. I'm going to monitor it carefully and if it shows any signs of worsening I'll get onto the GP.

Thanks for all your help!

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 08:01:56

Oral antihistamine & see a GP if it gets any worse.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 08:05:48

Thanks lljkk, that sounds like a good plan!

digerd Thu 25-Apr-13 12:38:46

I was bitten on my ankle by a swarm of unknown somethings, but it itched like mad. My ankle swelled up and it moved up my leg to the knee.
I had to take ABs and antihistamines as diagnosed with Cellulitis. Couldn't see the bite mark, until the swelling went down. Then saw 2 teeth marks, like a vampire.
It took ages for it scab over, when I knew it was on the mend.

yetanotherworry Thu 25-Apr-13 12:47:10

I get this when I get bitten - its an allergic reaction and I usually end up with a 2 inch red lump around the bite site. I usually take antihistamine and use anti-sting cream. It should settle down within 24 hours ie not spread further. If it does keep spreading then take yourself to the GP for antibiotics.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 25-Apr-13 12:48:22

Pinkish circle like a bulls eye you mean?.

May well be a tick bite; do seek medical advice asap. Whatever you decide do not ignore this in the hopes it goes away.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 12:53:54

Theres a red circle around the puncture wound that's about an inch in diameter, then another paler circle which is maybe five inches across. It's been quite achey this morning and I didn't have any antihistamine tablets, so I've just been down to the pharmacy. She gave me some antihistamines and said I should book in with a nurse to get some anti-bs.

So I went to the receptionist, who told me that the nurse couldn't prescribe antibiotics and offfered an emergency docs appointment slap bang in the middle of school run time! I'll start on the antihistamines and book a slot with the GP in the morning when the emergency appointments are released if there's no sign of improvement.

Thank you all for your help! :-)

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 25-Apr-13 16:23:10

I would phone the surgery today and ask if its possible for you to be seen asap, tonight if at all possible.

It needs looking at by a medical person given the size of it and the fact you're describing it akin to a bullseye which could indicate a tick bite.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 17:36:09

Thansk Attilla. I don't think it was a tick bite, not been trawling through any hedgerows (just sitting in the pub garden). We reckon it's more likely an ant or horsefly ... I was wearing a long skirt so whatever it was must have crawled its way up!

I'll get an emergency appointment tomorrow if it's no better with the anti-histamines in the morning.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 17:37:40

Just googled tick bite pictures (not squeamish, me!). The paler circle all around is all pink, not just a pink ring on the outside like the tick bites are, if that makes sense.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 17:41:16

Looks more like this but bigger and less swollen. Not that I'm suggesting I've been bitten by a poisonous spider!

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 17:41:20

I don't like sound of circles around the bite mark, I'll join the "see the doctor" brigade, now. smile

Ohwooisme Thu 25-Apr-13 18:55:48

Definitely see a gp - friend of mine got bitten (out walking in a london park - not known for poisonous insects AFAIK!) and had a horrible reaction. She left it for a while and ended up needing weeks of ABs and had to see a consultant eventually. Better to see someone sooner than later.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Thu 25-Apr-13 20:58:16

OK, it's not getting any better. Unless something changes dramatically overnight I'll be queueing up for an emergency appointment in the morning!

SilverBellsandCockleShells Fri 26-Apr-13 07:30:20

If anything it's a bit better this morning so I'm humming and hahing a bit. On the one hand, it seems to be improving, on the other hand, it's Friday so my last shot at it for a while ...

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-Apr-13 07:31:53

Would still get it looked at by the GP.

lljkk Fri 26-Apr-13 07:54:03

We're not medical experts & neither are you; just go get an opinion; that's what the Med Service is there for. At least you will know if it would be a waste the next time you get a similar bite.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Fri 26-Apr-13 08:09:55

OK bosses, appointment made!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now