Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swollen joints from slapped cheek?

(14 Posts)
pistachio Wed 24-Apr-13 21:41:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyMacmuff Wed 24-Apr-13 21:45:24

A friend had the exact same thing last week - DCs had slapped cheek and she had v. painful knees and then sore knuckles/ wrists. Horrible adult manifestation of slapped cheek. It lasted for about four or five days and then went away. Hope it goes soon, it's nasty [grapes] brew

pistachio Wed 24-Apr-13 21:47:17

pistachio Wed 24-Apr-13 22:18:51

minniethemooch Thu 25-Apr-13 14:41:07

Yes I had it , caught it from a child with slapped cheek.
Was off work for almost two weeks - it was almost all my joints - including hips. Slowly got better after a week and resolved by two. No problems since.
HTH
Minnie

pistachio Thu 25-Apr-13 15:58:36

MmeThenardier Thu 25-Apr-13 22:27:01

Yes. It was awful for a week then mostly gone in another week. V mild symptoms did linger for months... Totally gone now.

hazeyjane Thu 25-Apr-13 22:32:53

Yes, I have just had it. I had awful fluey symptoms for 4 or 5 days, and could barely move my joints were so stiff.

I still have the joint stiffness, and find that my arms and legs keep going numb. I also get really tired really quickly.

LaTrucha Thu 25-Apr-13 22:38:49

Yes I had it. Very nasty. My DCs had the achy joints too which was even more pitiful than me. DS had it in dressed in various guises for about a month.

hazeyjane Fri 26-Apr-13 06:13:05

Strangely, dd1 and ds have woken up this morning with slap cheek, and I seem to have had a relapse, with hot red swollen feet and a painful sore throat - mild childhood illness, my arse.

Weegiemum Fri 26-Apr-13 06:23:33

Pistachio - we all have it just now. Well dh hasn't caught it (he's a GP and he never catches anything at all!). Ds had it 2 weeks ago, dd2 got it on Tuesday, I started to feel ill yesterday, and dd1 has been up twice in the night!

Dd2 just had a bit of a fever and a face like a tomato - bit of a rash on her arms and legs and generally under the weather. Dd1 hasn't got so much of a rash but she's feeling fluey and uncomfortable, I think as she's 13 she's got more of the adult version. I've got sore and swollen fingers, toes, wrists and ankles and today my knee is sore too, and I'm very aware my glands are up! But the worst bit for me is I have a chronic neurological illness and any infection sets it off into relapse. So along with the parvovirus symptoms I have dizziness, loss of balance, increased numbness in my arms and legs and extreme fatigue but can't sleep.

Hope everyone feels better soon! My dd1 is really miffed as she was supposed to be going on a church weekend away this weekend - I'm doubting that'll be happening now!

hazeyjane Fri 26-Apr-13 06:30:31

Sorry to hear that, Weegiemum. By the way, I have had the dizziness too, I have low blood pressure so I thought it was that, but I feel very 'out of it' and spent most of the night awake with numb feet amd really bad pains in my hips.

Dd1 has scratched herself really badly, she has eczema and her legs are red raw. Poor thing is really miserable.

Ds just has the tomato face, fingers crossed it stays as just that, he has sn, a problem with his lungs and has seizures, so I am a little nervous.

What a strange virus.

Weegiemum Fri 26-Apr-13 06:42:50

It's awful when what's supposed to be "mild" interacts with other problems, isn't it?

I find these days I'm never sure what's exactly from the illness and what is my CIDP playing up (it's an immunological condition so all infections set it off to a greater or lesser extent). Maybe my dizziness is slap cheek rather than neuro? Who knows?

It's a weird virus, I didn't know much about it then bam! It's gone round dc school like wildfire. Bit like Rubella did in my primary in about 1979.

For some it's so mild (like you don't even know you had it) and others can't walk! I'm just glad my dc seem to have got off quite lightly but I've got a feeling I'm not going to be so lucky. It's bizarre, my hands and feet are numb from my chronic problem but also sore with this virus. I can't catch a break!

Hope you feel better soon.

pistachio Sat 27-Apr-13 20:56:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now