Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm bloody knackered. All the time. Help me feel better!

(21 Posts)
SpringMoreLikeSag Wed 24-Apr-13 17:40:59

I'm mildly anaemic but my brutal GP says that is not what is making me tired.

Otherwise I'm healthy. I sleep reasonably well. Life is busy and a bit shit at the mo but only in a first world way - no problems with roof over our heads/food in mouths etc.

I'm eating waaaaay to much - trying to boost myself out of my lethargy. I can't do anything much more that gentle exercise at the mo - problem with knees.

I know this is so very dull you have probably slipped into some sort of mild comatosed state just reading it but if you have any ideas I would be grateful. Thanks.

MrsWildermac Wed 24-Apr-13 17:43:39

Has GP checked your glucose level? Are you thirsty all the time? Could it be diabetes?

dummad Wed 24-Apr-13 17:49:59

It is possible but it will take effort.

I was feeling like this about eight months ago and kept going to bed earlier and earlier to try and correct it. But it didn't work. I didn't over eat particularly, but i did eat too much sweet stuff.

Anyway - you might not want to hear it - but i boosted my energy by getting up at six every morning and doing 45 mins yoga and meditation at least three times a week. It really, really works but means I only get 7 hours sleep a night. I don't do anything else (still eat sugar, drink booze moderately and don't do any other excercise) and i feel great.

Also, try drinking two pints of water per day. Good luck.

SpringMoreLikeSag Wed 24-Apr-13 20:03:39

LOL you're right! I didn't want to hear that grin I can manage the water but not sure about the yoga although I do think some sort of exercise would be a good idea.

Mrs W - no, he hasn't checked glucose. Apparently my blood results were very odd as haemoglobin low but iron levels almost normal, he is sending me to a haematologist to have it checked although I don't know what he thinks she will find. He says it could just be I'm one of those women who have odd levels - whatever that means confused

I'm trying to put that to one side though and concentrate on what I can do, I'm sure nothing will come of the investigations.

Noggie Wed 24-Apr-13 20:24:55

I went through same thing last year re copious blood tests- in the end I went on the pill to stop heavy periods and take multi vitamins with plenty of iron and do feel a bit better but still tired of the treadmill that is nursery school and work shock think gentle exercise and regular sleep times help too x hope your tests come back ok and you can find little ways to feel better x

SpringMoreLikeSag Wed 24-Apr-13 20:31:31

Thanks Noggie. I don't have periods as I have the mirena coil fitted. Multi vitamins are a good idea, can't hurt!

Emily28 Thu 25-Apr-13 10:42:27

What about your iron levels?
I tend to have lower iron than normal and when it gets to that stage it makes me soooooo tired!
Have you checked that?
xx

SpringMoreLikeSag Thu 25-Apr-13 17:41:03

My iron levels are just below normal so not sure that would be making me so tired confused

Delatron Thu 25-Apr-13 19:47:28

B vitamins are great for perking you up when suffering from fatigue. I have felt much better since taking a B complex with magnesium. I think the values in a multi vitamin aren't that high..

Also, I don't know if you are in to alternative therapies, but I am having great resuts from acupuncture. If you find a good practionner they will spend a good half hour talking about your symptoms, looking at your tongue (!) etc. I was told I had low kidney energy. I do feel like the acupuncture is helping with energy levels and it is very de-stressing.

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 06:42:17

Great ideas delatron. I'll try the Bvitamins. I could try acupuncture too, I've not done that before but if there's a chance it will stop me feeling like a rung out tea bag all the time it's worth a go. How do you find a reputable one?

ohforfoxsake Fri 26-Apr-13 07:14:42

What's your diet like?

I am much the same, and I know that if I up my protein intake, drop the sugar and carbs I'll be right. (But I continue to eat crap because I'm so tired and looking for a quick fix - and so it continues).

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:19:10

YY fox the sugar-tired cycle is definitely one I am trapped in. I have been upping my protein though, particularly trying to eat a bit more red meat.

ohforfoxsake Fri 26-Apr-13 07:24:30

I think that's the answer then.

I found the Harcombe Diet 5 day de-tox really good. Hard going on day 3, but I felt like a new woman by day 5 - cracked the sugar cravings and had loads of energy. Basically you cut out all wheat, refined carbs, sugar, eat protein and veg, dont mix carbs and protein, no caffiene, loads of water, herbal tea.

I think today is the day to start. Thanks for starting this thread!!

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:32:31

I don't eat a huge amount of carbs but the sugar thing I definitely need to address too <wibbles>

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:33:58

That Harcombe diet sounds like utter misery!

ohforfoxsake Fri 26-Apr-13 07:34:20

I also have 1.5 stone to lose and I'm sure that's contributing to my tiredness.

ohforfoxsake Fri 26-Apr-13 07:36:48

Honestly, it's amazing! As a life-long pudding lover I just did not want to eat one - it was very odd! Plus it's only 5 days.

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:38:12

Actually thinking about it, I eat more carbs than I think. Yes, could probably do with cutting down if not out. I have loads of weight to lose (about double yours)blush sad

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:45:03

Ok, I've looked it up here and actually the food they suggest sounds do-able. I don't eat fish but I'm guessing I can substitute chicken? Can you put spices on grilled chicken to make it tastier or is it just literally grilled plain chicken breast?

ohforfoxsake Fri 26-Apr-13 09:46:45

I would cheat and add the chilli in a tube to my stir frys, also garlic & ginger and finish with sea same oil so it's really tasty.

There's a butternut squash curry which is lovely and you can have it with brown rice for a carb meal (I use microwave) or with chicken as a protein meal.

That's the article I discovered it in - years ago now in She magazine. First time round I did the detox for 10 days (once days 3/4 are over it's a doddle) and lost 10 pounds.

The problem I have with ALL diets is that there will be an event and I fall off the wagon spectacularly and struggle to clamber back on.

But for your energy levels, do give this a go. smile

Delatron Fri 26-Apr-13 09:48:49

Good diet advice here. I think sugar can cause tiredness. It really is an addiction. I have substituted my puddings with dark chocolate. If you go cold turkey then the cravings do get better after about a week. I rarely fancy anything sweet now. I used to be a sugar fiend!

It's tricky with the acupuncture, I was just lucky with mine. You could ask around locally? Or just make sure they have all the right qualifications if you find one.

I also take something called Spirulina for energy. It tastes like pond water but is chock full of protein and vitamins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now