Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I POAS or is this some vile virus?

(9 Posts)
MimsyBorogroves Wed 24-Apr-13 17:06:55

I suffer with migraines, and I take a 50mg dose of amitriptyline a night.

Over the last 5 days, I've had a horrible "low level" migraine - it's not a great big thumping one, but that horrible sensation that the inside of my skull is too big and is trying to explode. My eyes ache and I'm exhausted. I slept for around 20 hours on Sunday and it made no indent whatsoever.

I had SPD in my last pregnancy. Gave birth to DS2 nearly 18 months ago and not had many problems since except clicking. Now my hips both ache to the point of intense pain. When I'm walking anywhere it takes me double the time it should because the pain is going up my spine, folding out over my shoulder blades and hurting my neck.

My sense of smell has changed. It usually does with a migraine, but I've never had these sort of symptoms for so long. I'm constantly smelling a milky sicky smell wherever I go and I can't trace it.

No temperature.

I'm feeling constantly nauseous but I'm unable to actually be sick - even if I try to make myself. I've been taking domperidone (as I'm meant to when I have a migraine) and that's sort of helping move it enough that I can cook and eat.

Over the last couple of days I've thought migraine or virus. Saw the doc yesterday and was given a migraine relief drug (did nothing), anti inflammatories (did very little) and tramadol (helped me sleep). GP gave no indication of what it could be.

Over the last 24 hours I've thought more about pregnancy. I have a mirena coil, so it's unlikely. Had a short, light bleed last week.

Can anyone make any suggestions? I feel dire, and just want to sleep but nobody to help me out in the day with DS1 and 2.

FoofFighter Wed 24-Apr-13 17:07:55

POAS just to put your mind at rest if nothing else.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 24-Apr-13 17:10:31

You're probably not pregnant but a quick wee on a stick will rule it out, so it won't do any harm.

MimsyBorogroves Wed 24-Apr-13 18:28:04

Going to do one tonight, if I can keep my eyes open long enough.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 24-Apr-13 19:01:55

Good luck. Do come back and let us know the result. What result are you hoping for?

MimsyBorogroves Wed 24-Apr-13 20:04:54

Done it. Negative.

I'm glad because of the coil and the risk of ectopic - but at the same time I have a feeling of GAH because I still don't know what's wrong. Everything hurts.

We're going to TTC at the end of the year, so I can hopefully wee with a more positive outcome in a few months.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 24-Apr-13 20:27:04

Well done for ruling it out, and good luck for the end of the year. That does leave you with the question of what's wrong. To me - and this is NOT a qualified medical opinion - it sounds like flu that's triggered an evil bastard migraine, which won't go away until the flu does. The painful joints and exhaustion sound like flu. Back to the GP if you get worse, or haven't improved in about a week. Get well soon.

MimsyBorogroves Wed 24-Apr-13 22:38:27

Thank you smile

I keep saying its like flu too. Just wish I was able to "lend" DS2 to someone for a day so that I can actually get some sleep.

digerd Thu 25-Apr-13 12:23:59

With flu, there is always a slight raised temperature. But perhaps you had this earlier and now suffering the after effects?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now